Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Accidentally in Kent...  (Read 3147 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Accidentally in Kent...
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »
Hello,

We've just moved back to the UK from Switzerland and were looking for a 5 bed house with an acre of land and have somehow ended up with a 4 bed house with 8 acres of land  ;D. But now it's getting quite exciting - not only do we have space for the planned fruit and veg but quite a lot else besides  :farmer:.

Our current plan includes replanting and adding to the original apple orchard - husband has plans for cider making - chickens (Orpingtons, colour TBC), ducks (Silver Appleyard planned), geese (West Country pencilled in), a handful of sheep (Cotswold) and a couple of Alpacas (undecided whether to breed or just to have as friends/defendants for the rest of the stock from the rampant foxes here) and bees. So you can see a RB theme going on here.

We're at a very early stage - we've only been in 6 weeks and haven't even got the fencing for the chickens in yet, let alone anything else. Only the vegetables and fruit are in and that was a question of needs must - otherwise we'd have missed this year entirely. The livestock is all plans on paper so far. But I already have hundreds of questions and hope some of you experienced guys will be able to offer the advice we will no doubt need over the coming years.

I look forward to meeting you all 'virtually' :wave: & thanks for reading,

Hester

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Accidentally in Kent...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
Hello and welcome from Durham.

Wow, that sounds a good investment from your old plans  :thumbsup:

We are plodding along on 2 allotments hoping one day to acquire something  on a much smaller scale but with similar ideas. Hope all goes well. Wil be interesting to hear how your plans develop   :wave:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:56:27 am »
Welcome from a very wet and cold Wales, Switzerland e`h , most people only go there on a one way ticket these days ! Dignitas airways,  Glad you made it back. :thumbsup:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:59 am »
Welcome from cool damp (but lovely) Wales.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:09:58 am »
Hi from the Isle of Mull  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:24:04 am »
Welcome Hester  :wave: from a very wet wales, I wish it would stop raining.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:30:03 am »
Hello and welcome from damp Carnoustie  :wave:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:59 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum from soggy west lothian  :wave: :wave:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:43:08 am »
Hello from Surrey  :wave:

You had better put water conservation high on your list of "things to do!". My Mum is in Kent and they have had very little of the rain everyone else is complaining about! 

good luck!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:49:07 am »
Welcome from Central Scotland - and yes, it's drizzling here too.  :wave: ::) 

I had a wonderful German Wirehair called Hester, miss her lots. :'(    Lovely strong name.   ;D

Good luck in your new venture, we love photos! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:11:14 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:49:18 pm »
Yes, drizzling here in Somerset as well.

Welcome to TAS and good luck with all your plans. There are a few of us just starting out at the moment, so perhaps we can all share the ups and downs of the the first year or so.

The up side, as far as I am concerned, is working with nature and the elements. The downside ................. is working with nature and the elements. Particularly trying to put up a poly tunnel during weeks of rain and/or gusty winds.  :-\  Still, at least we don't have a drought any more. :)

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 06:21:33 pm »
Welcome from a drizzly Worcestershire!
My daughter's a Hester too - there aren't many about nowadays despite it being in tghe top 3 names in the 17th Century!
Best of luck with all your plans!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:41:36 pm »
Well thank you all for such a warm welcome. And I'm a little embarassed to report that we've had yet another nice day here in spite of the rainy predictions. Our pond now has a sorry puddle remaining at the bottom with a few unidentified critters hanging on for dear life. So it is hard to believe that you're all flooded out - I just see the pictures of the news and am stunned. So, yes, water conservation and a bore hole seems to be the way to go.

My daughter's a Hester too - there aren't many about nowadays despite it being in the top 3 names in the 17th Century!

Well I was named after the Scarlet Woman in Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'Scarlet Letter' which is probably not the best association for a name and may have put a few off. I've certainly not many other Hesters although I believe it's quite a common name in Holland and Germany (appropriate name for a German Wirehair then!)! Hope your daughter enjoys being unusual too - it can make much easier as long as your learn to respond to any name beginning with H....

Switzerland e`h , most people only go there on a one way ticket these days ! Dignitas airways,  Glad you made it back.

;D There are a few who live on - I suspect most of the one way tickets are purely because they do the sums and realise there is nowhere else on earth to match a Swiss income! But there is no place like home ;-)

H

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48:09 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from soggy Shropshire where I am a garden micro-holder.  I grew up in East Sussex and my family are still there so I know it's very dry.  Pity we can't send rain.  We have plenty to spare here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS