Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rescue chickens or not?  (Read 5309 times)

Bill the brew

Rescue chickens or not?
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »
Been reading the site a lot, I am always logged in but do not post much. I have 3 chickens given to me by a friend and they are in a fairly safe enclosure although I am surrounded by countryside so made the wire double thickness etc and as much as I would like them more free range I am happy enough with the space they have..however, whats with all this rescue ex batts for them to be eaten by Mr&Mrs Fox? I think some battery hens would think its like us being put into a warn zone for a holiday, at least battery hens get regular food etc and do not have to worry about being eaten by a dog or fox...now I may well duck as I know plenty of lovely wonderful people who do re home chickens but why do it if they are going to be at risk?  Just think about it, are they being rescued or being made handy Fox Food?

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: Rescue chickens or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »
My take on this is better to be free and experience natural  hen life for a day than a battery hen for a year. having said that I wouldn't pay the silly money some of these rescue societes ask for ex battery hens. Giving them a homeshould be enough.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:56:09 am by omnipeasant »

Bill the brew

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:53 pm »
Fair enough.....I dare not take any more as I cannot let them free range as I have open fields all around.....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »
I have 5, they are in a secure pen when I am not here, free ranging on half an acre when I am. They are in a shed at night.  Fox took my ducks because I forgot one night to shut their door.  It won't happen again, and my dogs are sent out round the paddock every night now to put their scent there.

Has to be better than an 19 inch mesh cube night and day.  I got mine from BHWT - donations not payment so you give what you can.  I usually give them an average of £5 per hen to cover their costs fro doing a good job - they have to catch the birds and transport them to the farm, check them over for any illness, segregated those which can't be rehomed immediately, hospitalise some that could after a little TLC.
www.bhwt.co.uk
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:21:55 pm »
As long as they have access to the outside restricted or not that has to be better than a battery cage.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Bill the brew

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »
May get some one day but not until I can provide some more security. I would never object to giving some money to anyone who took that trouble..

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »
May get some one day but not until I can provide some more security. I would never object to giving some money to anyone who took that trouble..
Agreed.  :thumbsup:   Information's all on the website
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:59:06 am »
I have had these same thought... we had 4 last november and they have lasted until now - last one went last week.  Its been a particularly bad year for us for foxes - our neighbour thinks our valley has become a fox 'rescue' relaese site!!).  Ours free range fully most of the day but get put into their run around 4pm and then put themselves to bed (then I secure them in around 8pm, which from reading other posts is early, so I recon they must be bored in their run, despite me attempts at enrichment!).  Fox has been striking earlier and earlier in the day.  Our local fox man took 5 males over the last few weeks though, so hopefully should be safer.  We have another 10 rescues coming in 3 weeks which I thought long and hard about - but the last lot went from bald skinny things to healthy heavy hens  and had 7 good months.  Got to be better than death? But I refuse to pay the suggested donation of £10 per hen.  I gave £3/hen last time and hope that covers their costs.  I can buy a POL hybrid here for £7, so £10 for a bag of bones that needs a lot of TLC seems bonkers.  I will keep doing it though (and trying to foil Mr Fox) alongside hatching my own Light Sussex and Marrans.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »
II think £3 is a reasonable ammount to give as a donation FiB. A freind of mine was conned into going to pick some up. She could take 20 birds and thought she was to give a donation of her choosing but was asked for £10 per bird.  Needless to say she did not take all the birds she could have so it seems illogical to ask too much and miss out on homes for the girls.

Note on time to put chickens away. I regularly see the fox on the opposite hill through my binos starting his evening hunt about 6 pm!!  so 8pm would be too late to lock them up. Fortunately have a lot of dogs so I hope they will deter Mr Cadno (Welsh for fox) as they bark if a frog hops over the lawn.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:03:35 pm »
 agree  re fox times ...mine are 'locked up' in their fox proof ( :fc: ) outdoor run (which is attached to their shed) at about 4 pm - I then shut the shed up at about 8. The fox was taking ours before 5pm.
 But I was saying about the timings cause I recon 8 is probably quite early for a hen to put itself to bed - so deducing boredom.....  When they were free ranging untill they wanted (still with total free access to their shed) I had to call them in.  Its what makes me think a shorter life of freeranging might be better than a long life in a cage?  Who knows though ??? .  Its all better than the pot after a life in a very small cage.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »
My friend along the lane has just had a visit ...... at lunchtime. And yes, he helped himself to a hen and some chicks before he was spotted. I was told that foxes never call here in the day. That's that theory blow. We don't see many here usually ..... down to the gamekeepers I suppose.

Guess they are never "safe" if they free range but "happy" maybe. ???

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 06:19:28 pm »
£10 quid. they are micky taking. its not even that for a pol hen. think carefully before you rescue hens.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:13 pm »
£10 quid. they are micky taking. its not even that for a pol hen. think carefully before you rescue hens.
It is only a 'suggested' donation - I guess for those that are picking up 3 as pets, they might get that.  I gave £3 per hen as I was unsure how needy or ill they were going to be - but fox aside they perked up really quickly and were massive layers (BIG eggs  :o  every day) so would feel happy being a little more generous this time (picking up 10 in 3 weeks)  Worth a consideration if you want eggs and have a bit of space to spare.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »
Our local BHWT (Beds / Herts) suggests on their website a donation of £3-4, and in their final email they suggested £5, which I had planned on giving. I suppose those who asked £10 either had too many takers or have by now amended their policy  :-\

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:41:08 pm »
We have 10 exbatts from October & Dec. They were grateful for the homes & we only gave about £10 each time. They roam all over the 8 acres & sometimes onto the verge now they are bolder. Usually bring them in just before dusk or 5ish. Mind you 1 is getting very difficult to find & did not come back until six - after the spaniels were loose!!
Rose

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS