Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone else get flooded  (Read 3439 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Anyone else get flooded
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:18:35 am »
after the storms the other day we came home to the Donkey Padock totaly under water and a river running through the stable yard  :o
anyone else get flooded
Graham

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: Anyone else get flooded
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:04 am »
We got away with it this time.in Wales. How are you guys up north?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:39 am »
Not here in Mid-Wales but parents cottage in Shropshire nearly flooded ..... surrounded by water up to the door. Their local school had to close and the nearby fields were under water.

My daughter was on a trip to Drayton Manor and the teachers said they had never been in so bad a storm. The manager there had even asked if they wished to leave.

A man lost his life near Ludlow in a swollen stream.

So sad.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:09 am »
Did you see that photo of a hailstone the size of a tennis ball,  ouch !  :innocent:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:48:45 am »
Yeh, I got flooded on Thurs. Road, yard and goat byre but not house. Nearly lost the footbridge. And looking at the forecast, it could happen again tomorrow.

Thinking of moving to the Sahara  ::)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:59:43 am »
Oh no, Jaykay.  :fc:  for you.

No storms, but feels like we have hardly had any dry days here.  There are lots of jobs that are so difficult to get done in this constant rain. Hubbie out chopping down trees and sorting wood now, in pouring rain.

Still, shouldn't complain really.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:18:25 pm »
I should be clearing out the goat byre but it takes me all day and therefore the goats have to be shut out all day. It's rained hard on and off all day yesterday and now today, so it ain't happening this weekend  :P

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:44 pm »
I've just been trying to hose down and disinfect my chicken run when the heavens opened again.  I got soaked, the dogs got soaked, the hens are in for the night, didn't get round to putting the  disinfectant down so hope it stops for a bit to get that done.  I hate half done jobs.   

Natural pond filled up to the top yesterday, gravel was covered in water at the side gate, the burn was almost full to the top of the bank.  If it all stays that way I can cope ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 02:32:28 pm »
No flooding here - just squelching  :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:26:43 pm »
Squelching here too - Otherwise OK and trying to look on the bright side - glad I didn't buy the place by the river that I'd been looking at.  :)

The pile of firewood logs set to dry by the hedge has started putting out shoots  :o - need to move them into the woodshed methinks - which I'll build when summer arrives...

I've given up looking at the 5 day forecast - it's too depressing.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »
My husband was just south of Birmingham, in Tesco when the torrential rain came down. He was on his way to a farm visit in Solihull. The wall surrounding a carpark nearby collapsed (Redditch) and he said everyone just stayed in the shop as there was tennis ball sized hail coming down and then rain that just looked like taps had been turned on full. The roads flooded a lot.
Where we actually live though we were lucky. The Avon stayed within its banks, phew.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 08:39:04 pm »
Like mab I had been going through the process of buying a place right by the river. It ran just a few yards from the property. It was very pretty but I am glad now that we didn't go through with it.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:58:20 am »
I got three house in flood areas but nothing has happened so far so fingers crossed.  I doubt our farm will get flooded as is all downhill to the sea :)

Still its hammering down today - nothing more frustrating than seeing the water rip down the tracks on the drive instead of bloody going into the ditches I made.  - I think the drive needs chain harrowing again ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS