Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do I do?  (Read 10883 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: What do I do?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 09:01:29 am »
That's good news.

If you decide to take her to the vet, it could be something as simple as an infection. She may only need antibiotics or similar. You just don't know. In my experience animals as they get older sometimes just need a few more trips to the vets. Sometimes it is bad news but sometimes something treatable.

:)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 02:09:43 pm »
Pedwardine, cats will purr even with terrible injuries, I think they do it to comfort themselves as though they remember their mother purring whilst feeding them.
When OH and I joined forces twenty years ago he brought with him two cats. They lived 'til a ripe old age but one I thought had become fussy about her food, though she still purred when on a lap. I tried all sorts of things to try to tempt her and she would go to her dish as though hungry, then after a taste would walk away.
I'm ashamed to say that I got cross with her until I noticed that her tongue was sticking out. On opening her mouth I discovered a huge tumour in her mouth. Poor little soul couldn't eat and must have been suffering dreadfully but never complained. This could be something you could check for?
I hope it's not something awful and that she dies in her sleep, warm and well fed. :fc: :bouquet:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 07:47:10 am »
Thatnks ITH and Sylvia. Pix is doing a bit better. I know it was a stroke as one side of her face has 'dropped' as happens with stroke victims. I think the eating issue may have been to do with her struggling to figure out how to eat again with this new problem as it obviously affected her mouth too. Bits of food went in and promptly dropped out again. She seems to have sussed it and portions are increasing every day, not as much as I would like but we're going down the 'little and often' route and progress is being made slowly but surely. There is always the chance that another stroke my occur but  :fc:  for now. She isn't the cat she once was but she is trying so hard.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:26 am »
Glad she is doing better!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:23 pm »
That's really good to hear  :)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 10:35:50 am »
I have only just picked up this thread. A very warming story. How is Pix doing now?

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 09:34:21 am »
Hi NM,
Pixie is AMAZING  :o . She's still very wobbly but coping with her condition. She's eating a good amount of either sardines or tuna every day and is eager for the feed bowl to be put down for her which she wasn't before. She dribbles a bit of food back out again on the affected side but she's keeping the food down (Pixie use to often sick up her food even when in seemingly good health) Her ear isn't stinky with infection anymore either so we've beaten that but still keeping an eye (or nose!) on it. She's washing herself again which is WONDERFUL. She purrs SO much. She loves a cuddle and is rubbing us with her nose again. Mmmm kitty kisses  :-*  . I just hope and pray that another stroke doesn't happen as she's been so brave coping with the ones that have hit her so far. She's literally half the cat she was and she was already such a wee thing hence the name. I don't know that she'd survive another onslaught.  :fc:
Thanks so much everyone for your advice, kind words and hope.
Amanda x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 09:58:33 am »
Well done, Pixie and you for taking so much care of the old girl.  :bouquet:

My old lad looked so skinny and ancient but carried on that way for years so hope that Pixie does too.  :D

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
Just a thought. Could Pixie have had an inner ear infection that upset her balance?
So glad she is eating well. That's always a great sign. :fc:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 07:35:25 am »
NM, yes we believe this to be the case in conjunction with a series of strokes. She came to us pretty pongy which we shortly after discovered to be a severe ear infection, she had crusty discharge at the base of her ear and we were alarmed to find clotted blood coming out on a few occasions. We persevered with cleaner and drops and, although we still monitor it, it's much improved.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 09:09:17 am »
Hi guys. Pix was put to sleep on Monday following another very debilitating stroke. We're missing her very much but glad she's not struggling anymore. When it got to the point when she didn't want cuddles anymore we knew it was time. Thanks for all your kind words.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:01 am »
Sorry to hear about Pix but as she was struggling this was obviously the right decision for her.  :bouquet:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:17 am »
 :bouquet:  Lucky, lucky Pix to have had you for owners. She will live on in your hearts.  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 10:55:17 am »
You obviously loved her so much and cared for her as best you could  :bouquet:

Sorry

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:39 am »
RIP Pixie, she was loved to the end

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS