Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb wot got worried by a dog  (Read 3583 times)

kitchen cottage

Lamb wot got worried by a dog
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:32:07 am »
Well, its now 7 days since the attack.  He had a large antibiotic dose and then a five day course and two days ago he had a 5 day antibiotic.  His temperature went down to 39.8 and then when I did it day before yesterday was up again.  I didn't finish work until 11.30 last night so I didn't take it then, but how long before the temperature is in the normal range?  Also, he is in the cart lodge with a friend, given the wound is dry, once the field dries up, I'd like to put him out again.  For his benefit to get some grass.

I want to know when I can be sure he is on the mend.  :fc:

kitchen cottage

Re: Lamb wot got worried by a dog
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:02 pm »
 :innocent: bump for help...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:45 pm »
im no lamb expert but i d be watching his temperature.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:54:29 pm by deepinthewoods »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:39 pm »
A relapse in high temperature or off colour can be a sign of an abscess developing under the healing wound. Dog bites in any species are notorious for this. I only have experience in pet animals but would then advise to keep wounds one and flush copiously for up to a week before allowing the area to seal. This may not be viable in sheep due to the high risk of flystrike.

Any comments or views on this from an experienced TAS please.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:33:57 am »
Antibiotics and let the wound heal to keep the flies off.

If he's looking ready to be at grass, and his treatment is finished or you can continue his treatment with him out at grass, then let him be at grass.  Just keep an eye on any fly activity.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:49:55 am »
What is his temperature when high?
Sheep have a higher temp than other animals anyway as far as I recall, and stress can make it spike.
I would keep up the ABX and a close watch ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

kitchen cottage

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:44:42 am »
 :wave: temperature was 39.9 last night but had previously gone down to 39.8.  I had it spike at 40.2 on Tuesday or Wednesday.  The wound is stapled and dry and doesn't seem to feel hot now.  Vet will come next week to take out the staples anyway.  I'll take his temperature this morning.... he poos on me when I do this!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 06:01:41 pm »
Well normal sheep temp. is quoted as 38.5 - 40.0 so I'm not sure there's anything to worry about there.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:31:02 pm »
Well normal sheep temp. is quoted as 38.5 - 40.0 so I'm not sure there's anything to worry about there.

This was exactly what I was thinking ;)
Is lambie acting feverish at all?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

kitchen cottage

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 08:40:36 am »
I hate it when google lets me down!  My bit had temperature at 38.5 to 39.6   :innocent:

Sorry, HOWEVER he does now have an lump on his face which seems hard but not uncomfortable when you touch it?  weird?  The vet is coming on Thursday to take out the stitches and saw him Tuesday when she dropped off more antibiotics so  am, in ignorance, not that worried?  He's well able to grass, he never went downhill at all and is weightbearing and scoffing like a good 'un. Given the good weather promised this week.... ;D ;D ;D  I will wait for it to dry off (still a swamp out there folks) and put him out with his pals  :bouquet:  Thank you for the replies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS