Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wolfhounds  (Read 14198 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Wolfhounds
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:04 pm »
Is anyone else owned by a wolfhound ?
We have a 2 1/2 year old who is as soft as muck and in the process of possibly getting a second one who is 10 months old.
Graham

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Wolfhounds
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:22:16 pm »
I have been owned by 2 but our last was put down just before christmas  :( They are fabulous - no other dogs can compare.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:27:29 pm »
I think they are lovely gentle giants.  They have a shorter life span due to their size haven't they?  A bit like Danes?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:33:44 pm »
We had one, then later looked after another for one of our sons.  They are wonderful dogs, with their own take on obedience and a terrible problem with wind  :P   They love to sit on your lap, but can only fit the back end on, love to share your bed but there's no room for you, and in the car they need windows open on both sides so they can stick their head out one side and their tail out of the other  ;D   They are the perfect size for a hug  :dog: .
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:05:24 pm »
I have always hankered after one since reading Finn the wolfhound as a child..... are there any breed/ rescue societies for them?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:48:17 pm »
there used to be a breeder along the road from me      they were £1800 a pup  :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:03 pm »
smudger just google Irish wolfhound   and everything will come up      money must be tight they are selling for £950 now    and rescues for £100  but with no paperwork   they retain it :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:40:39 pm »
I have always hankered after one since reading Finn the wolfhound as a child..... are there any breed/ rescue societies for them?

That was a good book  :thumbsup:    Yes there is a wolfhound rescue - well worth doing  :dog:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:40:58 am »
Sadly she wasnt the right dog for my lifestyle as she chased livestock something that I couldnt cope with with the amount of animals we have here
so we are now on the search for a puppy  ;D
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:42:44 am »
Don't know much about them, just that I admire them very much.
But might most wolfhounds chase livestock, as they're hunting dogs?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:47 am »
Our wolfie aswell as our friends wolfies are 100% with livestock, ours goes out and mixes with goats, lambs, poultry and does not even look at them
Graham

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:36 am »
That's good to hear. I wondered if you maybe had the only one who didn't like to chase livestock. My Dad's lurchers were pretty lethal if they ever got into the chicken paddock  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 11:09:49 am »
That's good to hear. I wondered if you maybe had the only one who didn't like to chase livestock. My Dad's lurchers were pretty lethal if they ever got into the chicken paddock  :o

Lurchers are crossed with sight hounds (eg greyhound) and as such designed to chase and kill anything that moves, especially rabbits and hare.

Wolfhounds are dogs which originally hunted wolves, in part to protect flocks of sheep, so in the same way as foxhounds are mostly interested in foxes and not usually at all in sheep, I presume wolfhounds are more minded to protect sheep and chase predators?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 11:27:56 am »
They will chase sheep but it's something you have to be aware of and train out of them from an early age.  In spite of their individualistic approach to rules , chasing livestock can be prevented, but you do need to acknowledge it as a potential problem.  :dog:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 11:29:04 am »
An Irish Wolfhound is identified as a sighthound within the various groups of dogs. A Sighthound is one that was used to hunt a particular prey based on the movement of that animal. A Scottish Deerhound coursed deer and Greyhounds chased hare. Although the wolf is no longer available for an Irish Wolfhound to hunt (probably not anything most of us would like to see anyway), many wolfhounds still have some of that coursing instinct remaining.
I had read this, which is why I wondered. But I gather that the coursing instinct isn't as strong anymore as maybe it still is in greyhounds bred for racing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS