Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another orphan lamb problem  (Read 4786 times)

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
Another orphan lamb problem
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:26:46 pm »
Hi all - this seems like a good place to pick some brains!

I have 4 orphan lambs, all bought in, all approx 1 - 2 weeks.

The 3 ram lambs have taken it in turns to go off feed, tuck up, have snotty noses and various levels of scours.  The first 2 have just got better on their own, within 12 - 18 hours.  Number 3 seems worse.  Scours today have turned bright green and mucousy.  Last full feed this morning.  Has refused two other feeds today.  Tucked up, snotty.  Has a watery mouth.  Stomach looks full.  Not 'rattly'.  Haven't taken temp. Have Pen and Strep and no qualms in calling vet tomorrow morning but wonder if anyone can identify this based on experience.  I have learnt not to panic when bottle fed lambs go a bit wobbly on me but I don't want to leave this one too much longer before taking some action.

Many thanks.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Another orphan lamb problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:44:28 pm »
Sounds very much like 'Watery mouth' to me loads of info on net so google!
No specific treatment except antibiotics so if you have some fill him full of em.....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:04 pm »
Yep - that's what I've been worried about - I have looked it up in all sorts of places but the bugger keeps going up and down in his health.  Tonights feed will be telling.  He did have a bit of shivering at the start - a sign of it apparantly.

Guess I'll be sticking some needles in ....

Thanks for your succinct and prompt answer Woolly Shepherd.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:12:42 am »
Try giving his some live natural yoghurt - it has been known to work quite well on some scours, particularly those caused by upsets in digestive bacterial flora. I have heard of farmers who use it as a preventative for watery mouth
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 07:01:22 pm »
Ended up taking him and another in to the vets today.  Both running temps (note to self, get that bloody thermometer you've been banging on about for ages!!)  Both had antibio injections and anti inflamms (to help with the discomfort?) and are having rehydration fluid and live yoghurt which, luckily, they seem happy to take from the bottle!  ;D  However, the tea time feed wasn't much of a success with even both of the other healthy lambs not taking much.  Might be cos I had the dog with me.  Might be cos they were fed only 3 hours earlier.  Might be cos they are going down with the same thing.  Let's just hope it is option A!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS