Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where can I have my VW sorted in central scotland...Please!!!  (Read 7670 times)

sandy

I am getting very very angry now, my VW has been in the local garage for over 12 mths now, he started on some badly bits but said he needs to have space to do the breaks as it will be unusable for a while, I ring and ring him and he always says ring back next week, I now want to take it elsewhere but I suspect the battery is dead, it was brand new when I took it to him and as it is parked in an exposed area, one side has faded badly >:(, I am going around in a mo and hope he is in but I need to take it somewhere where they know what they are doing and can do mig welding aaaaarhhhhhhh

HappyHippy

Re: Where can I have my VW sorted in central scotland...Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:55:03 pm »
Uncle Dennis - He's our man - if he can't fix it - no-one can !!!
This guy is a genius with VDubs. He's in Ayr, which maybe a bit out of your way Sandy but he's well worth a visit. I met him through the VW club many years ago and he helped me out no end with my Beetle over the years and now my brother won't take his golf to anyone else. He's very helpfull and a nice guy into the bargain  ;D

Dennis Dunlop, Ayr 01292 619 801

Good luck !

sandy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:07:42 pm »
Not sure if it would get that far, around 60 miles, at the moment it has been standing all that time. I just visited the garage, he said he has contacted someone from Bonny Bridge and he is going to do the welding......another saga begins I suspect. My local garage chap is nice but only has a small workshop and will not be able to work on other cars in my VW is in, I wish he would have said so 12 mths ago, I think he thought he would do it when he got quiet but he is still busy...Thanks, I really really hope to get her back soon, now she is a bit pale after sitting exposed for so long.... ::)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:44:30 pm »
Hopefully she'll be back to her old self and in her rightfull home again soon  ;D
I would say though, that if your mechanic seems to be struggling with knowing WHAT to do, rather than time to do it that he phones Dennis for advice (he's always happy to advise) the man has forgotten more about VWs than most people ever know! Sorry if it sounds like I'm waxing lyrical about him, I'm not on commission or anything !
Do you know something sad - it's been 8 years since I sold my beetle but I still have pictures of it hanging all over my house, funny how you always consider yourself a VW owner when you've been bitten by the air cooled bug  ;)
Hope you get her back soon

sandy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:01:56 pm »
WHen I first Divorced I went for nearly a year without a car, I had some money and bought a car but, it was just a car, I said I would love a VW, so went out and found one, bright, Barbie Pink, 1971, it lasted foour years and we had loads of fun, I used to turn up to work in Childrens homes and cause a laugh, it had a bench front seat and when you went around the courners you would all slide up to each other, after four years of me not looking after it properly it died, only to be brought by another enthusiast who knew me in the same town, I saw them on a night out about three days after scrapping it and they said you should get another, so I di, a 1974 Red one that was left hand drive and a great interior and conversion, again, we went everywhere in it at weekends, I used it for Youth work and moved furniture for people, then when that went, I sold it as it failed it's MOT, I did not buy another until after moving, my partner had some savings so he bought the one we have now, that's 1971 and been painted yellow with a Black roof, it did look very smart but not so smart now.....I feel lost with out it, I would love to visit jameslindsay in it, we would make a nice day out with our food and dogs in the back...anyway, I will let everyone know when it's back, where I used to live people always waved as we went bye..... :'(

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:27:38 pm »
I bought my Beetle in 1992 when I was just 15. It was a dark green 1971 rag top. It was lying in someones back garden with weeds coming up out of the roof - but when he turned the key - it sprang into life. I was sold, if the engine was still good after all that time I knew I could fix the body, and so it began ! In the end I paid £180 for the car, but must've spent about £2000 on parts - just getting the sunroof recovered cost more than the car ! But it was my baby, I ended up changing the colour to metallic purple and a few years later that changed to bright screaming pink with palm tree stick on's....................totally wild, but EVERYONE smiled and waved.
I ran it for 6 years before selling it to raise cash to go to uni, but had a massive tear in my eye and vowed that ONE DAY I'll get another.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 04:47:39 pm »
As I said, more than a car, my Ex never understands and I am lost without it at the moment, as soon as  you turn the key and put on some load music, my face beams :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:55:13 pm »
I thought the whole point of leaving it there was because he could do the mig welding?  Now he says it's someone else who is doing it.  He may be nice but he isn't very truthful  I suggested four months ago that you take it to David Manson in Kennet but that wasn't possible as he couldn't do the welding, but if someone else could do it David could have done the rest maybe.  Mind you he's as busy too so maybe it's a case of phoning your little man every day till you get it back?  After all a year is along time for it to be away from you - will it recognise you when you get it back  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D  Poor little VW >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:00:29 pm »
If it's bodywork, Crams at Kennet are very good. For mechanics, Manson's are sound.

sandy

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »
Well, I took my car to Mansons, they were good and I did not have to waite too log to get it back, whereas, Anne has a similar story to mine!!!! I am now waiting for a phont no. from someone in Bonny Bridge!!!!! by the time I get it back it would have rotted away, thanks anyway, we will see.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »
The bodywork place has gone out of business I think - signs were down last time I went.  And David is out the door with work as it is.  My son has spent a frustrating 2 weeks trying to get his boat trailer fixed by Mansons and had to source the hub himself. Was supposed to be ready Wednesday - now with luck it will be Saturday.  So instead of buying new vehicles I think everyone is repairing the old.  I have minor things on my motorhome (parking sensors and flushing the water tanks) but David has had it for about 7 months now - not a problem as I didn't need it, but Sellickboy and Ballingall might want it soon.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:49:07 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »
Together?  ;D

sandy

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:22:10 pm »
I can't believeknowone wants my money!!!!! When we first moved in I had some money to get my camper mended and asked someone to come around, they sounded ken but did not come, then I kept ringing the garage and rang around locally, knowone wanted to know but talked about the beloved VW's and how much they are worth....anyway a guest got very interested in it and we did a bit of work (engine runs great) and just needed MOT, story then goes on and on........I used to be with VW club and there are people around so I think I may try again,my poor old van, I planned to just have the VW and use my bike and bus for everyday stuff and just go out odd nights and weekends and of course tour Scotland, so beautiful, when my cousin came to play in his band north of Loch Lomman, we were amazed by th beauty and really really wanted to go again and stay in our VW with the dogs, well maybe one day!!!!

sandy

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:32 pm »
Well the garage has found someone else and it should be going there anyday,  will not hold my breath but, it may be on the road for the summer and anyone around this area will be able to see us on our [move][/move]travels   ;D

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 09:14:31 pm »
Don't know if you ever got sorted but the VW camper chap in Glasgow is Capaldi and Milliken. (Lawrence is the chap to ask for) in Anson St Glasgow. 0141 554 0113. Didn't see this post 1st time round, sorry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS