Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I have greedy birds?  (Read 2062 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Do I have greedy birds?
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »
I have kept chickens for a number of years on a small scale and while they have always been happy to see me at feed times they never appeared to be starving.
We have recently moved and increased the number of poultry, some ducks, some chickens, some geese, they live in various different enclosures but all seem to be ravenous.
They are regulary wormed and I was wondering if they charge up to me because they have now associated the feed bucket with something good or if I am not feeding them enough.
Can anyone give me an idea of what wieght a day approx 40 birds would eat. They also get grass clippings and any appropriate scraps, they are on both layers pellets and a handful of mixed corn.
I am in the process of a seven day worming at the moment but they dont seem to be much different. All input appreciated :farmer:

Dawn

KevCollins

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Do I have greedy birds?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:19:06 pm »
Hi Dawn,
I only have five hybrids (totally free ranging in a grassed garden with plenty of worms/grubs etc), and am beginning to get the impression that they will eat anything and as much as you can put in front of them.    I only have to walk out of the back door and they run up to the patio looking as if they haven't been fed for days.   My wife says I am starving them, but I say that if they have layers pellets left over (and they always have plenty in their feeder) then they are not starving, but just keen to get their beaks into something a bit more tasty, such as corn, veggies, pasta, mashed potato etc etc.   I agree with you that they see you coming and know there is going to be something a bit more tasty to eat than pellets - simple as that.
Kev

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Do I have greedy birds?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:42:23 pm »
its hard to tell the mix if they were chucks about 150g per hen plus mixed corn the geese a good couple of scoops of mixed corn or maise. they should be getting most of there feed from the glass. sorry no idea about ducks. do you get lots of wild birds they steal lots. chucks are always hungrey by the way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS