Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas needed  (Read 13623 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Ideas needed
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 05:36:02 pm »
Argos have loads of Experience Day's as gifts (I think they buy them via Virgin). My Dad had his 70th last month and I bought him one. Was going to go for a race track but realised he was going to be driven round, which would have sent him mad as he needs to be in the driving seat  ;)   But they had zorbing, falconry all sorts  :) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »
If he loves the farm as you say, I bet he'd adore a day's falconry  :D

Is there a centre near you, that's probably the best way to do for that.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 06:13:02 pm »
What about a shotgun? He can spend hours blasting things around the farm rather than looking at screens! Failing that, a Kindle,,,,,,,best toy I've got at the moment! :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
Can't believe so many of you like kindles - I love the weight of a book, the size of the text, the quality of the paper the pages are made from, its smell, hardback or paperback - it all adds to the pleasure, you can't get that with a kindle.  Call me old fashioned..

Still think you should go with the camera - there are great things you can do with photoshop etc to prolong the fun - he could have his own website, my brother teaches guitar and lute and has recently turned to photography producing fantastic images, great fun and a good parallel to music (the language is the same - composition, value, balance etc).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 08:49:18 pm »
15 eh? 

every young man needs a wallet.... with cash in it, lots of cash!   ;D

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:47 pm »
Can't believe so many of you like kindles - I love the weight of a book, the size of the text, the quality of the paper the pages are made from, its smell, hardback or paperback - it all adds to the pleasure, you can't get that with a kindle.  Call me old fashioned.

It's not an either or! The Kindle is unbeatable for convenience, especially when travelling. I'm on the seventh book of a series, the average length of which was over 700 pages, and am so glad I didn't have to lug them around over the past couple of monts. My Kindle is also full of technical reference books, most of which would weigh several pounds in paper, and it lets me have access to them wherever I am.

I still buy paper books, especially reference books, but wouldn't be without my kindle. :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 05:44:41 am »
Good idea, buy him a kipper. but not from Philadelphia, even their cheese is crap. :innocent:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:19 am »
My most unforgettable birthday gift was a hot air balloon flight. :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 07:29:24 am »
Good idea, buy him a kipper. but not from Philadelphia, even their cheese is crap. :innocent:

;D ;D ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 04:08:10 pm »
My friends son has just turned 15, and for the first time asked for clothes - as in the latest jeans and t shirts - so seems he has decided to take interest in his appearance now!!  He is very into the x box he has, so also is grateful for new games for that, and speakers and what have you!!

He really wants an air rifle - all his mates have them - so he says.  Parents are not at all keen on this idea though.

He also enjoyed a half hours go karting at a local circuit, taking a friend.  I think they do driving lessons for teenagers too, on a specially designed road. Maybe something similar near you that would suit?
Near us we have an indoor ski slope, and also at the same place an indoor  sky dive thingy, which is popular for birthdays!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »
gym equipment, dumbells etc or a pass for a gym.

Has his birthday been and gone?  what did you get him?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS