Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scald  (Read 3832 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Scald
« on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »
I have a lamb with scald, sprayed with blue spray and let back into the field again, should I have kept her in for a few days as the ground is so wet. I have checked all the others and this is the only one who has it.
This is my first time with anything other than shetlands, she is a mule lamb, I also have a Texel and three Suffolk crosses all with single lambs.
Anne

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Scald
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:47:16 pm »
No, that's what you do. Might have to repeat the spray, might not.

It's a common issue, scald is caused by the bit between the hooves getting damp and soft and then one of the two bacterial species that cause Footrot gets into it. On its own the one bacteria just causes scald, which isn't too serious and which does usually clear up with blue spray. Just one of those (many  ::)) things sheep get.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:50:46 pm »
Hi we never keep them in. is it on long grass cause that can really make the problem worse. If you can put onto short grass and keep spraying the affected place it should clear up quite quickly.
Good luck with your lambs; good crosses, are you keeping for yourself or thinking of selling for meat?

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:29:16 am »
My experience is that regular use of a Zinc sulphate foot bath will irradicate the bacteria from your land and after 2-3 years you will never get scald or foot rot. I did this and have had neither for the last 6 years.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
Oh, that's worth knowing  :thumbsup: I've got rid of foot rot but still get scald.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 05:04:05 pm »
I think footvax does then both.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:06:24 pm »
But doesn't footvax react with one of the clostridial vaccines or something.....(vague recollection)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 05:25:42 pm »
Not sure. I tend to cull for feet so I dont see much of it. I trim, spray let it fatten and then its off the team. I think i've had scald twice that I can remember in the last 2 years. I get the odd limper who then gets better, specially in the wet. But I tend not to do much about those if its only a few days. Could be anything, stone in the cleat, whatever.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS