Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pink pigs outdoors and THE SUN!!!!  (Read 5271 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Pink pigs outdoors and THE SUN!!!!
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »
I have three Landrace x Saddleback weaners who are more pink than I would have liked.

They have been outside for two weeks now and I am desperately trying to cover them with mud every morning while they eat so that they don't get burnt.

I tried some sun cream on them but it seems to irritate them as they ran off trying to wipe their heads on the grass etc so have been worried about using it again, they also seem to hate having the mud wiped on their backs but i am so worried they will burn, I have perservered.

Does anyone have any advice / words of wisdom.
xx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Pink pigs outdoors and THE SUN!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:19:25 pm »
The key is to provide A) shade and b) wallow.

Shade can be all sorts of things - trees, a "lean to" against their ark, tarpaulin whatever you can provide, they can then be out of their ark, but under cover.

Covering in mud is excellant, but they should do this themsleves by having a wallow - mud about the consistency of emulsion paint.  Dig a hole about a foot x a foot and 6 inches deep, fill with a bucket of water, and the pigs will expand it into a full size wallow - just keep adding water.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:54:44 pm »
You having a laugh? Our pigs are more likely to get rusty  ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 04:58:06 pm »
since i got the lop  3 years ago never bothered with sunscreen or mud     plenty of one and no need for the other and the hamlop crosses don't bother either :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:24 pm »
since i got the lop  3 years ago never bothered with sunscreen or mud     plenty of one and no need for the other and the hamlop crosses don't bother either :farmer:

Do you get sun in scotland? -  thought it was the strength of the moon up there !! :D
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »
oaklands when we meat you buy the drink i will crack the jokes ;) :farmer:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:55:24 pm »
Oh Robert  you beat me to  it.
I was going to say "move to Scotland - problem solved".

Today we could not measure the temperature in the sun ( off scale at plus 50) so after I chucked a bucket of water over me the pigs got one each too. I have black pigs.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »

Do you get sun in scotland? -  thought it was the strength of the moon up there !! :D
Sun - wasat?  :D  Oh, you mean that thing in the sky - I've forgotten what it looks like  ::)   ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »
our tammie piglets got sunburnt ears this year but they lie out in it alday by choice. it healed up pretty quick wen the haar came back!  ::) ::)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 05:42:20 pm »
I seem to have put a jinx on the sunshine since i wrote this post  ::) .

I have found a new sunscreen that doesnt make them squeal like it stings and on the odd day that abit of sunshine is forecast I make sure I lather them up while they are eating their breakfast.  I have found they are much more tolerant of me while their faces are in the food.  ;D .

They really do go red very quickly without the sunscreen and I hae to think of them getting burnt.

Thanks for your help all, and sorry for the rain  :'( .

xxxx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:41:22 pm »
we used to use zinc and castor oil on ponies noses, it sticks on for ages too..

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
Well my pigs are on their third set of flippers and the sunscreen is still unopened. ;D
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 11:47:14 am »
Well my pigs are on their third set of flippers and the sunscreen is still unopened. ;D
It's wet innit ?  ::)
Our fields aren't quite as bad as they were last year (can still walk though them without getting stuck), but I hope it dries up a bit and we don't get the torrential downpours they're talking about  :-\ I'm hanging off for a dry day to put mums and piglets out.........could be waiting a while  ::)  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS