Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: udder problem  (Read 6423 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: udder problem
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:56 am »
Thank you Anke for very comprehensive reply.

I'll keep an eye out for the Pat Coleby book - too expensive on amazon unfortunately (unless the goat/ alpaca one is just as good, published a year earlier?)

I think I will work towards drying her up, especially as yield not great, and boost supps thereafter (she's currently on shredded/soaked s/beet, with non-dairy goat mix and oats  plus just started the Brinicombe goat vits (next bag is barley as the other goat is a heavier milker and even thinner).

I got a little more milk out of her this morning.  But she still has a slight or trace on the CMT. Not sure relevant:
http://www.caprinesupply.com/the-california-mastitis-test
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: udder problem
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »
For the Pat Coleby book - keep looking on www.abebooks.co.uk too, as it is an older book.

The Pat coleby book recommends feeding barley rather than other grain, so you should be ok. With GG's you should watch out for their droppings if increasing the concentrate ration - when on too high proteins they quickly become runny. Shreds are not too high in protein, but are good energy. Lots of branches are also good (but labour intensive). My older GG doesn't eat cow dairy nuts, if yours do - they are good for milkers, but probably too protein rich for dry GG's.

Are you planning to put her back in kid this autumn?

I don't as such test for mastitis with any special kit - I find that if the milk goes slowly through the filter something is wrong... also somewhere in the goat section last year I described the washing-up liquid test that I do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS