Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advise on goats for newBie  (Read 2892 times)

Charliechix

• Joined Jun 2012
Advise on goats for newBie
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »
Hello
My sister is getting married in September and I have managed to convince my dad she can use its land to keep a couple of goats.
I have read a little but would love some advice on type of goat to get. I was thinking two nanny kids and see how things go?
Really appreciate some help
Thanks

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: Advise on goats for newBie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:09:47 am »
I'm a complete novice so will bow to more useful advice which will come. I will say I did not envisage how time consuming milking is, so I'd make sure your sister is on board with the purchase. I presume she could just let the goats rear their own kids fully but if in milk and no kids attached she will need to milk daily, and probably 2x daily if high milker.

Alternative is to go for a fibre goat (or a few pigmies if only for 'pet' purposes).

They also need good/high fences, shelter and browsing opportunities and probably hay/feed all year round. Sheep are better grazers and less time intensive outside of lambing/shearing.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:17 am »
Hello Charliechix

Welcome to TAS  :wave:

First thing to consider is that goats are a HUGE commitment. Even if you aren't milking, you will still need to be on hand for twice daily feeding, ensuring they have fresh water (they drink quite a lot!) aware that if they are going to get ill it will be at the most inconvenient time possible (ie. xmas day, 3am, when there is a blizzard...)

There are a great many things that are toxic to goats (certain trees and plants) so you need to make sure the land is free of them.

Personally Id' say the best  option at this point is to find a local goat club or keeper who will be more than happy to show you their set up, let your sister have some hands on with them and get a feel for if she still wants goats.

I have 4 goats currently, I'm milking 1 I have  a kid suckling off of his mum and then a castrated male. Its hard work! Even going on holiday takes a lot of planning now, making sure they are in tip top condition, that I have a relief milker, enough feed, hay and so on.

LIsa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Charliechix

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:27:05 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice
my sister's partner plans to go part time after they marry so that they can commit to their chickens, bees and hopefully goats!
I think the time factor was why my Dad took some convincing being a retired farmer.
I'd love to contact a local goat keeper in the area but the www.goatsuk website doesn't seem to have anyone near to her.  She lives in Cambridgeshire.
I'll keep searching
Thanks for the idea about "pet style" goats too, very helpful

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »
The best advice I can give anyone who is thinking about getting goats is GO FOR IT.  Yes they are a commitment but if they have other animals, they have to make arrangements anyway if they go away.  I don't find milking that time consuming.  If my OH helps with the feeding we can do it all in 20-30 minutes (one goat milked).  On my own it's 30-40.  They need hooves trimmed once a month (about 30 minutes for three goats).  Mucking out takes about an hour once a fortnight. talking to them and watching their antics takes forever.   ;D

Charliechix

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:20:43 pm »
Thanks mad goat woman,
I've got my sister two kids from a kind person on this website. With a goat lesson or two and the help of a hardworking husband and a reluctant retired farmer (dad)I think everyone will be very happy together
Just off to discuss raising the field's fence by a few feet........
 :)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:51:22 am »
Whereabouts are you  ?      There are a surprising number of goatkeepers who aren't   'public knowledge' but never the less whould be happy to help a 'newbie'......... so let us know where you are.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS