Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens and Turkeys together?  (Read 2200 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Chickens and Turkeys together?
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:53:51 pm »
Good evening

I would like some advice about keeping chickens and turkeys together.

I currently have seven ex battery hens and a bantum cockrel. I was looking at getting a couple of turkeys, however i have read that they are unable to be kept together. Is this true? My chickens live in a converted garden shed which is in a 25-30m run. I am planning on extending the run soon to make a bit more room for any more chickens and some turkeys hopefully.

I am planning on getting another garden shed to convert into turkey accommodation, so the chickens and turkeys would only share a run. I have heard that chickens can give turkeys black head? What causes this? Is there any age either in chickens or turkeys which makes them less susceptible to black head.

Any advice welcomed

Thank you

Emily

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Chickens and Turkeys together?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:50:10 pm »
Hi Emily  :wave:
We have both chickens & turkeys that free-range together during the day, but the chucks go into their house of a night & the turkeys roost in & about the decrepid outbuildings surrounding the yard.
I'm not 100% sure what Blackhead is, though I have heard it mentioned a few times, but we don't seem to have had an occurrence of it (  :fc:  ).
Just a few words of advice - our turkeys don't like being shut-in for the night & would much rather perch on the landrover & sh*te all over it  ::)  Also, I would avoid getting the white "commercial" breed, as they do not do well outside - Norfolk, Bourbon or Crollwitzer would be more likely to thrive.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:55:57 am »
If you want to keep chickens and turkeys together you will need to worm the chickens regularly otherwise blackhead can raise its ugly head. Some people keep them together for years with no problems. Watch your stocking numbers.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »
We keep chickens and turkeys together but do keep on top of worming.  I would google blackhead for more info about it.

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS