Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What Breed?  (Read 3905 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
What Breed?
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:09 pm »
I am contemplating buying a few goats.  I haven't yet eaten goat and think I need to before deciding whether to have a mixture of meat and milk breeds. The same goes for trying to make cheese, butter and yogurt otherwise I may have a glut of milk and not know what to do with it!

I am a bit worried having read another post about mixed breeds and escapees.  I have a small flock of sheep (12-15 adults and temporary large no of lambs), will they mix with goats?

Other queries are on housing as it seems most are permanently housed.  I am based in Wiltshire and have had no luck finding breeders locally.  Final question (for now) is rough guide on price of a goat.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What Breed?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »
Goats and sheep should really not be mixed in the same paddock, unless you are 100% certain that both have no worms or fluke at all and your ground is completely clean. Sheep can build up a bit of resistance to worms, less so to fluke, but goats really don't. You would be best to partition your field, and get the half for the gotas "cleaned" by either having some cattle grazing it for a few months or leaving it empty and the make a batch of hay before putting goats onto it. 6 months is best to leave it. Also any goats coming onto your land should be wormed on arrival and kept inside for about 10days, after which a worm count should either show them clean or resistant worm burden, in which case a different wormer would have to be used.

Yes they do need a house, separate from the sheep. don't let sheep eat goats food. the extra copper in it could kill sheep.

as to breeds - whichever you really like :) , you can always cross with a meat (Boer) male to get kids for meat, or with a dairy male if you want to rear any females for milking.

Making cheese is great fun, and spare milk goes to triplet lambs and later to pigs in my system.

If you decide on a dairy breed my advice would be to look for a BGS registered female (cross bred ones are as good as pure bred), preferably with milk figures in her pedigree. It would give you more of an idea of what to expect from her, same goes for choosing a male (of any dairy breed) to produce offspring with good milking potential. With goats crossbred kids can be registered in the "British" section, and any with good milking figures from their parents are worth as much as many pure breds.

As to price, I would go for an animal from someone I have visited and seen their set-up/treatment of their stock, or from someone who was recommended by a local goatkeeper/vet. I always go and see the goats before I buy any stock from someone. Price is really secondary for me. But prices are generally bewteen 150 and 250 for a promising goatling, I have sold pure bred kids for minimum 150, but GG kids for example can cost a lot more. 1st and 2nd kidders are more, depending on their milk figures.

My goats are very good at staying in their paddock, sheep netting and extra top wire (or two ;D ) electric is a must. Preferably mains. They still put their heads though the netting, especially the kids and rip their tags out though... >:(

try and find some local goatkeepers and/or find a local show and have a chat! We can go on for hours about our girls ::) !

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:19:15 am »
Oh crumbs, thanks.  So much to think about.  How much ground do they need?  We have a 10 acre field which we re-sowed last year and never been grazed until my sheep lightly grazed it a few months ago.  I also have 2 acres but not much grass by house where I lamb and keep ponies.  All well stock fenced.

I guess your saying then I need to pick an acre or so and keep specifically for goats? How easy are they to lead out as I could halter train and walk round village eating verges and hedges?

I will continue the hunt for goatkeepers in Wiltshire. Thanks for advice

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:38:26 am »
Be carefull letting them eat from verges and other peoples hedges, yew, privet, laurel, ivy flowers, rhododendron, foxglove, milkweed , solomans seel etc are all very toxic.
You will need to get a herd number for them as it is not automaticaly the  same as your sheep herd number ,  they (animal health) might say to use the same, but still need to be registered .
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:21:32 am by tizaala »

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 08:55:31 am »
Im sure others will tell you more but I think you have to gain a license to walk your goats on leads, you have to plan and give the actual route of your walks, its all to do with movement of animals I think? Not like the old days when you could take them anywhere....

Sue Lawton

• Joined Jun 2012
Downland x
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:10:21 pm »
I do not have any information ref. Goats but you had an advert for 2 x Sheep you had for sale do you still have them if so I am very interested.  I have had 6 sheep as pets for many years but last year lost 3 of old age they were around 13/14 years old and graet friends.  I have one old and 2 yearlings and would like 2 more.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:18:30 pm »
Hi Sue

Unfortunately I sold those two however I have another two Southdown x Suffolk from this year's lambs plus a few Suffolk x which I will be selling after weaning/Sept time.  Are you interested in a particular breed or just something friendly as I have some very friendly.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 04:45:17 pm »
Unfortunately, you can no longer just walk your goats along lanes etc. to allow them to eat verges.  Personally, I would never do this anyway, as it encourages the goats to think they can just go over the fence and go off and graze  "their" verges!!  But, there is nothing to stop you from collecting leaves from safe trees, which goats love, and feeding them to your goats. (I do this) I would be cautious about picking things at ground level, as you just do not know what may have been sprayed on them, and of course pollution from passing traffic etc.

Although I have sheep, I do not allow them to mix with the goats - the exception to the rule being my ancient shetland sheep, who has been here years, and he shares a paddock with the pygmy goats.

As to how much land, well, this all depends on what sort of land, how many goats you have etc.  Goats are browsers, and that means they would choose trees and bushes over grass, so whatever land you have you need to fence it well!!  Some breeds will stall feed, which means they do not have access to green feed, except what is brought to them....obviously more work involved.

Ideally, you would need two fenced paddocks, so that you could rest one, as in the winter months, the rain and snow can make a muddy mess, along with you, and the goats waking about.  Most of my goats tend to be kept in over the winter, so the field gets a rest, and it also stops them getting foot trouble from the mud.

I have to say keeping goats is not cheap - especially is you have numerous.  An adult female can eat an alarming amount of hay!!  I feed hay in racks all year round, as I do not like them going out on summer grass on empty bellies, as this can lead to things like bloat.  To get the milk, you need to feed plenty of goat feed etc......all costly.

As to eating goat meat.  I keep Anglo Nubian goats, and was persuaded to try some cooked meat from that breed.  I thought it was really nice and not a sign of any fat at all.  As with the milk, you need to feed the meat goats to get the weight on, again it can be costly,.

It is sensible to try the milk, cheese, and meat before embarking on goat keeping - would be a shame to get the goats etc. then find you do not like the meat or milk!!!

Sue Lawton

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:07:01 pm »
Hi Sue

Unfortunately I sold those two however I have another two Southdown x Suffolk from this year's lambs plus a few Suffolk x which I will be selling after weaning/Sept time.  Are you interested in a particular breed or just something friendly as I have some very friendly.
Thank you for your reply and yes I am very interested please can you let me know when they are ready we live at Studley which I think cannot be too far from where you are.  They will have a long good life and I shall enjoy them.  I keep them for lawn and paddock mowers.  I would like 2 or 4 the smaller the better and ewes or castrated males, are they friendly.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:06 pm »
Hi Scots(lassie)girl,  :wave: , consider size and manageability - if you have someone to help at times or if you are doing the managing yourself, feet trimming, injecting etc, some of the milkers are quite big and strong willed.

We are having to keep our pygmies in with our sheep at the moment due to major re-landscaping and fencing issues but it is not ideal with the food situation, we are having to lock our goats in their house for a time morning and evening to eat their meal and then get rid of any leftovers.  I do know of other goat keepers in the borders who do keep both together at certain times of year - depends on the breeds really and their eating habits, but best to keep separate if you can for a number of issues already outlined.

Our neighbour is a smithy and his horses come to 'chat' with ours every morning.

Also think of what your land is like and what animals would be suited to it - if you have a flat field fenced off which wouldn't be the most stimulating for any animal, then you will have to think about creating some kind of fun things and levels too.

We love goats here, they are much more characterful than our sheep (which we also love).  There are lots of milkers on this website too - all completely unbiased of course!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Sue Lawton

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »
Hi Scots girl
I am interested in your cross Southdown but out of interest what breed are your friendly sheep.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:26:47 pm »
Hi Sue

Why don't you pop over one evening or weekend and have a look.  I live just outside Pewsey which is about 20 minutes if you are Calne way.

I have 2 Southdown x ewes who are really cute and a castrated male although he may go for slaughter.  I have a gorgeous little Suffolk x mule who is one of triplets and amazingly friendly because she was bottle/hand fed.  All mine are relatively tame, some more than others but when winter arrives you will be able to handle them with food then next year they will be easy.

I will pm my details.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:36:18 pm »
Hopefully I have attached a pic or two of lambs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS