Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is this WEED!  (Read 3067 times)

wife@escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
what is this WEED!
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:01:44 pm »
I have this weed growing all over - I am assuming its a weed. When the leaves are small they come up easily, but as they grow the routes are getting harder to come out. And there there is a gigantic version - assuming its the same weed. Anybody know what they are and the best way to be rid! thanks  :)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: what is this WEED!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »
It may be Lesser Celandine.

See:http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/celandine.htm

Hope this helps

Sue

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:41:18 pm »
Do the leaves have a smell? 
Do you know what the flowers are like?   
What is your soil - acid or alkali?

I think it might be two different plants, as one set of leaves are rounded and the other pointed.  I thought it was hedge mustard or Jack-by-the-hedge (which may or may not be the same thing) but doesn't look like it in the Collins book.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:42:34 pm »
One of those looks like hedge woundwort though I cannot be sure,do have pics of the actual plants?The other I think could be coltsfoot or winter heliotrope.???

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:08:54 pm »
The top picture is garlic mustard or jack in the hedge. It will smell of garlic when crushed and is reasonably nice mixed in salads when it is young. If you do not want it to spread just cut of the flowers stalks after flowering which will be from March- May roughly.

The bottom picture is more difficult it could be Doronicum (Leopard,s bane) which would normally have yellow daisy like flowers from around April till now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS