Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Found my queen.  (Read 4503 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Found my queen.
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:20:23 pm »
Know it might not sound like much to the old hands here but managed to find my first new queen and mark her all by myself so feeling quite proud of myself.

Just need to remember I missed the first time and there is also a marked worker in there too!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Found my queen.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:30 am »
Beeducked, I'm laughing at the thought of the worker worker  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:16:01 pm »
Well done on finding her and marking her, I always have mine marked to make life easy.
The worker will be dead in a few weeks so not problem there.
I use a little circle of wood with spikes in to trap the Queen while I mark her, or a plastic tube with a plunger. They probably have a name but from my description I'm sure you know what I mean.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:02:40 pm »
I thought about a crown of thorns thingy but my mentor has never used them as she says she worries about impaling things which had made me nervous without even seeing one in action!

Yes, the worker won't be around for long so will be back to just the marked queen. Just need to find the queen in the other nuc. Know she's in there as she is laying but she is obviously a lot sneakier than the first!

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »
Clipping will be next then?

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »
Not sure I would be brave enough to clip for a while although I was thinking of having a practice on drones. Might think about that for next year. Just need to find the second nucs queen before I worry about marking her though!

Job for the good weather at the weekend I hope.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:03:30 am »
If clipping for the first time wait until at least six frames of brood & she / colony are settled and happy. Also clip at start of year, if things go wrong plenty of brood eggs etc to recover the situation.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:08:54 pm »
Good advice, thank you.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »
I always fought short of clipping my queens for if they swarm then you lose half of any disease in the hive ,, Nortmally  the state of the hive after a swarming is such that it will spring back to massive honey and bee with a vengence due to the queen laying her own body weight in eggs each day (plus I couldn't be bothered as I had fifty hives ).
Leaving a declining queen in place will see the effort steadily reduce the size of the hive till the point is reached where the queen cells are raised .
So I usually grew two cut off frames of queens in a neuc box filled with a couple of cups full of workers . They  simply make queen cells along the cut where there are eggs so long as the egggs are three day old or younger.

Then I re queened with the new queens a day after after snuffing out the old queens , introducing the new queen in a queen transporting  block .

If it is never allowed to swarm what will nature do to the hive disease wise ?????  I've not come across any research on this matter but it does seem sensible to let nature take the upperhand in a hive for most of the time.

The ring of wood with the spikes and woven mesh on top is called strangley enough, " A queen marking cage "

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »
Very good thinking Plantoid, if new frames were able to be put into the hive after swarming that might also help reduce disease.
Queen marking cage - sometimes the brain isn't quick enough at this time of night, obvious when it's there in front of you  :D
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS