Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first 'production' spin  (Read 7051 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
My first 'production' spin
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:05:27 pm »

Just finished 2000yds of purple silk and merino, 4-5 ply. It's a richer purple than the flash photo shows.

Have fixed the twist by steaming it, then I've just remembered I spilled machine oil on some of it, so I need to  wash it after all  :P

Have just won a jumbo ball winder off eBay. I've wound all the skeins by hand onto a niddy noddy, but I couldn't face doing 2000yds on a nostepinne to make balls for knitting.

It's very uneven but I shall choose a plain-ish jumper pattern and it'll make it textured  ;)

Better stop playing and get some laundry done or I shall have no clean clothes for work tomorrow  ::)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:07:01 pm by jaykay »

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: My first 'production' spin
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:13:39 pm »
Wow, looks excellent! Can't wait to see the jumper.  :thumbsup:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:33:14 pm »
It must have taken an age to spin all of that, wow  :o
Love the colour. It sounds a very elegant knit   8)

I so much would like to spin. Myself and oh regularly went camping at hoddam castle where a spinner was found every day  sitting in the bar with her wheel. I was mesmerised by it and longed to try it myself since then ( 20 yrs ago  ::) )

Sallyupnorth had one for sale recently and oh tried to persuade me to take the offer but I wouldn't know where to start or where to fit in the time.

Look forward to seeing the final jumper, get those needles clicking   :D  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:40:38 pm by Mammyshaz »

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:37:52 pm »
Well impressed  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:41:35 pm »
Thank you  :)

MammyShaz, get an Ashford traditional from Sally (cos she's made sure they're in working order) or from Ravelry (same reason) and you can come over here or I'll come to you and teach you to spin. It takes accepting it'll take practice, plus a couple of inputs from someone to see what you're doing usually, and then after that it's just practice and you improve.

I'm no expert and have got loads to learn still (spinning silk and extended draw are the next two things) but I could help you get going if you want.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:06:42 pm »
well done jk! Looking fwd to seeing the finished yarn & how it knits up. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:23:09 pm »
ms, i can vouch for jk's tutoring skills !  And i would be very happy to help you too.   On wheels. i will often (usually) have an ashford traditional available - i really enjoy seeking them out, bringing them back to life and finding them new, working homes!  Or join your local Guild - ours can loan wheels to new starters, as well as there being lots of lovely, friendly, helpful folks to help you get going. But be warned - it's totally addictive!  I'm on holiday at the mo, travelling with homespun knitting, fibre & drop spindle...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:35:25 pm »
Hi Jaykay.  I love the colour of your yarn - it will make a very elegant jumper  :thumbsup:    How long did it take to complete it?

Mammyshaz - it's worth taking Jaykay up on her offer to show you how to spin.  It might not be the right time for you to take up a hobby just now, but once you have learned you can always come back to it later.  Knowing what is involved will make it easier to take it up again.   I think more and more people are learning to spin - which can only be good  8) :sheep:

"I'm on holiday at the mo, travelling with homespun knitting, fibre & drop spindle..."  Sally, that sounds wonderfully romantic, like heading west across the States in a covered wagon  :wave:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:45:44 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:26:07 am »
Jaykay the yarn looks fantastic and I love the colour. What did you use to dye it with?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 06:02:02 pm »
Love it.  :love:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »
Thank you all  ;D

Sally, I didn't dye it myself, I spun it from bought tops.

I've decided I actively dislike carding and don't particularly need to dye things myself. Though when I've had my coloured Shetlands fleeces prepared, I might over-dye some of that, as I saw it done at Woolfest and liked it.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:04 pm »
I haven't seen the over dyeing so would be interested to see what it looks like.  I washed some Ryeland fleece at the weekend and if its completely dry tomorrow will start carding it. 
Sally

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »
Here is a link to a photo of the sort of effect I like
over dyed wool - the very bottom, dark photo

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:06:19 pm by jaykay »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 10:14:37 pm »
Spinning is one thing but dying as well  :o the photos look very complicated.

Jaykay I might just take you up on the offer. I'll do some homework and try to Suss out whats I need then SallyIN I will be knocking at your door for a wheel  :D .

There is a guild in Durham somewhere will look it up too.

This could be a new hobby for this winter, now I'm  just after a little penny or two from OH  :eyelashes:  :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 09:02:15 am »
Jaykay, Thanks for the link. I like the overdyed effect  :) .  I am not ready for dyeing yet but when I am I will certainly give it a go with the dark fleece.
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS