Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poorly lamb  (Read 7901 times)

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
poorly lamb
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:50:17 pm »
have a poorly lamb, she cannot walk and is quite floppy, she cannot raise her head and froths at the mouth we found her yesturday morning took her to the vets and he gave her antinflamortory glucose magnesium calcium and a long lasting antibiotic, he however just said he was covering what symtoms she was showing at that moment. that evening she started getting better, was even able to stand  :o  through out the night she went down hill again and was floppy once again and unable to stand. we have been feeding her lamb lac with glucose/sugar in it to give her energy, have wormed her and have been told by sheep & goat man to give her the lamb lac with sugar in it and an egg. she drinks only about an once/two every  1/2hr-1hr she did perk up a little in the day but again went down hill. since we found her she had not baaed untill about half hr ago, when she started chocking on froth, after i cleared her throat she baaed, she was then instantly sick, this is when next door told me to feed her lamb lac sugar and an egg, after i fed her a small amount again, she was sick (looks like diorahea but out of her mouth) the lamb is nearly 4 months old, does anyone know what could be wrong and what are her chances i have raised her since she was born and she does mean a lot to me, thanks

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: poorly lamb
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:08 am »
What ever else is wrong with her you must keep her fluids up. Try to get hold of some lifeaid, it has all the electrolytes and glucose in it. I feed to lambs in a bottle with a teat. Being floppy could be due to dehydration but I don't know what the underlying cause is. Was the lamb's mother vaccinated, if not this could be watery mouth.

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:29:01 am »
lamb is up and running about today looks and sounds normal think all the tlc katie gave her until late this morning as helped no idea if mums where vaccinated but i would think so as from a large farm :thumbsup:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:10 am »
That is excellent news. Only advice now is that if the vet started her on antibiotics she should keep that up. Vet will probably leave you a syringe and bottle.

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »
he only gave her a jab of long acting just to cover her as he said she didnt have any infection or high temp he thought it was plant poissing as we got lots of fox glove he also thought she would be dead by that night

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: poorly lamb, down again
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »
the lamb is down again, after only half a day out with her adopted brothers and sisters, she went down again, she was severly dehydrated and floppy again.
she is still down and we have been giving her again lamb lac along with fast reacting glucose, and minerals and vitamens. after an hour and about 6 onces  of milk the lamb is strong enough to stand after i lift her (to change sides) she then walked about for about a minute befor collapsing on to the floor.
does any one know what could be wrong with this lamb, it would be a shame to lose one at their age :(

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:11:37 pm »
Why put the lamb back out so soon with the others can you not pen it somewhere for a few days till it actually is recovering and able to fend for itself. Try to keep its fluids up and if it persists am afaraid it ll have to go back to vet

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »
Be careful how much glucose you give the lamb as it will cause blood sugar problems. Best check with vet as I was advised just to put small amount in initial bottle then just milk. Not sure how old lamb is but as others have said fluids are most important and maybe anti-inflammatory as well as antibiotic.

Best to keep isolated and warm until bouncing for a few days. I had a newborn like this except no foaming mouth, and it took a couple of weeks of feeding little and often (sometimes barely 50ml at a time) until he got going.

Fingers crossed. It's really stressful when the get sick

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »
Errrr...that sounds just like when all 9 of my cade lambs got bloat!!!!! They were floppy, weak, uninterested, droopy eared and frothed at mouth. I simply gently syringed 50 mils into each one and by the next morning, after some explosive diarrhoea and many many sheep farts they were completely right as rain! Bloat can kill tho so be careful! I can't believe your vet didn't maybe mention this as a possibility! It is very common in lambs too!
p.s if it is bloat, sugar will make it worse as it causes further fermentation!!!!!!!!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 09:14:23 pm »
ooops... i meant, i gently syringed 50 mils per lamb of oil (any edible oil is fine...It reduced the frothing)... don;t offer milk or creep til the bloat has subsided., is the belly looking round and hard at all! It will feel hard!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Crazyboutdaanimals

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 08:06:15 am »
think it might have been bloat in the end cause she messed lots and after he tunmmy went down and she was right as rain has been fine now for 2 days so is now back with the others as i dont think the house is a good place for a growing lamb lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS