Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blind sheep- what can be the cause? How soon will they get better?  (Read 40129 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: Blind sheep- what can be the cause? How soon will they get better?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »
I sympathise hugely - my sheep got struck with contagious opthalmia in early June, I panicked because some of the sheep (the Gotlands) went blind and I originally thought it was due to me overworming them.  It was very odd as the other affected sheep just got sticky eyes but my Gotlands actually went blind and their corneas clouded over and went bluey-white.

My vet prescribed Terramycin LA for the adults but I ended up giving it to all the adults and lambs because some of the lambs had it too.  I used Orbenin only in the infected eyes as I didn't have enough to treat the entire flock - this was easier said than done!!  :o   It was not easy administering this stuff to a reluctant sheep, so I ended up putting some on my finger and it was the only way I could get it in.

There were a few sheep (Gotlands) who seemed to take a long time to respond and with those I re-treated with Orbenin.
Best of luck  :fc: 

ETA I just checked again and some of them still have it - one who looked like she was improving now has it back in both eyes  ::)  so looks like it's still doing the rounds  :-\ .  However two of the worst affected are now clear.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:38:23 pm by Remy »
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 08:16:37 pm »
Interesting thread and hoping you are getting on OK?  I was reading more about Bracken today and the source I was reading was saying that injestion of young fronds (perhaps amoungst lush pasture can cause blindness in sheep - anyone had experience of this?  The sheep around here seem to manage pretty well to avoid eating it...

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 07:52:54 am »
Hello again.
Sheep update- now on the 4th day and sheep are no better. The ones that only had it in one eye to start now seem completely blind (and we treated both eyes). On a positive note of optimism, it doesn't seem to have spread to any others than the original bunch from Saturday (yet).
The vet frightened me to death talking about permanent blindness (because our first shot of eye cream didn't work), so it was a real comfort to read about other people's experiences and that it seems it can last a while.
We are rounding them up for their antibiotic today (couldn't manage it on my own yesterday- take no notice of me with a stick).
As it seems to spread in other flocks- I'm wondering whether I should dose the whole lot?
Also- I need to check if Alamcyin LA is ok for lambs as we had one with a weepy eye.
We decided not to pen our sheep up as they hate being indoors, but they are in a smallewr field. Still sad to see them bumping in to trees and constantly losing their lambs.
Thanks again for your words of wisdom, Joanne xxx

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »
Just a quick one.... our shearer refuses to shear sheep if they have been recently fly-strike prevention treated as it is harmful to the operator... you may want to check with him prior to Crovecting. I use Barrier Blow Fly repel prior to getting mine sheared as it is strong, works pretty well and totally natural. it is also quite cheap to buy, smells gert lush and with a little spray on my ankles and wrists stops me getting bitten whilst in the field too :o)
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 04:23:37 pm »
Hello.
I just wanted to say that our 4 blind sheep are now better, although their eyes are a bit cloudy- all can see again.
I read it would probably just disappear on it's own after 2 weeks, but we treated with eye cream an antibiotic anyway (couldn't just leave them bumping in to trees).
All clear at just over a week.
Just in case someone else is unlucky enough to get it.
Amazing that just those 4 ewes got it, and no lambs.
Joanne xxxx

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Glad they have recovered.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 06:40:21 pm »
I'm glad your sheep recovered  :) .  I still have some with it - but some who were completely blind now have clear eyes again.  Also some who had recovered have got it again!  It's been with my flock over a month now  ::) , it seemed to affect the Gotlands much worse for some reason (and they were the ones who got it again).  As far as I can see it's just 3 adults and a couple of lambs who have it at the moment, they are two Gotlands (and their lambs) and one Zwartbles.

I suppose with a large flock it's bound to take much longer to clear.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 09:53:44 am »
Hi Joanne,
Now I know who you are on TAS! Glad the sheep are coming on, let us know if they fully recover
Simon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS