Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The little christmas tree  (Read 2868 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
The little christmas tree
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:47:38 pm »
Well - just like in the tale, we have rescued a little christmas tree from our Danish neighbours who were moving  house.

It was fairly popping out of its container - dreadfully pot bound and starting to look a bit sorry for itself.

I have pruned it and repotted it in a large container full of ericaceous compost with added plant food in the hope that it might recover.

Any suggestions as to how I can help it along further?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:18:01 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: The little christmas tree
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:52:57 pm »
give it time .. they often just sit & sulk for a while, then go mad and grow massively!

try not to over water, they are "designed" for frozen areas where water is ice for much of the time...
Little Blue

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:19:55 pm »
OK little blue. thanks.

I did water it in but I will put it in a sheltered spot where it won't get drenched by the summer weather  ::)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:51:41 am »
Years ago I rescued a tiny christmas tree which had been left in a sack dumped by the plantation planters (sounds like it was a kitten  :D )  I was being self-righteous and clearing up their litter and noticed this one tree abandoned and alone.    I planted it in my hedge and for a couple of years it didn't do well and I thought it must have been left dry for too long.  However, it's now much taller than me and growing strongly, not as tall as its chums a couple of fields away, but happy and healthy  :xmas:

Trees don't like pots much, so if there is somewhere you can put it in the ground it will prefer that.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS