Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone use a yogurt maker?  (Read 3366 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Anyone use a yogurt maker?
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »
A few questions for you.
Are they easy to use?
What do you need to buy each time to make yogurt?
Is it worth doing?
Is there a specific make recommended?
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone use a yogurt maker?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:03:23 pm »
I have a severin with the glass pots - see link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Severin-Yoghurt-Maker-White-Grey/dp/B000FMQDW2/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1340460028&sr=1-3

Very easy to use, even I can manage  ;)   I use our own goats milk and to start with a 'starter' but once you've made your first batch, you just share the last pot out between the empties and top up with milk, turn it on, set your timer, remember to turn it off before it turns to cheese, eat and enjoy  :)

I think its worth doing but then I have 4 children who eat a lot of yogurt ( I don't eat the homemade one because its full fat and I can't touch goaty stuff!)

very easy to clean, takes up a little space and you can let your imagination run riot with recipe ideas
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »
yep, dead easy and definitely worth it if you have your own milk supply!
goats' milk on its own can make the yogurt abit thin, either add powdered or pretend it's a yogurt drink! 

Before you spend alot of money on a new one, ask on your local freagle site - there's no end of people who think its too much trouble and give them away...
Little Blue

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »
Hi we had one in the 70s, but after that my mum used to just make it in a wide necked thermos - its easy to make as long as you can keep it warm (airing cupboard)...  Have a look at this..
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/radiator-yoghurt/

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »
My yoghurt maker is a combination of the saucepan to heat the milk to 80 degrees C and then let it cool to about 43 degrees C, a couple of tablespoons of a starter yog (either a live one from the supermarket or some from previous home batches) and then a plastic tupperware container to take the combined mix and leave it in the airing cupboard overnight.

Very cheap!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS