Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing for Lambs  (Read 3093 times)

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
Fencing for Lambs
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:41:21 am »
Hi. Another silly question I am afraid!!
We have newly stock proof fenced one of our smaller paddocks as we want to get our 2 North Ronaldsay Ewe's outside after they have been kept in for 2/3 weeks whilst lambing.  My questions are:
1) should I be adding some kind of extra fencing to the bottom two feet of the fence, to prevent the lambs either getting their heads caught or escaping through, as they are still quite small.
2) is it ok to add a couple of strands of mains powered electric fence, or is that too dangerous for small lambs like this?
3) The grass in the paddock hasn't been grazed this year, or cut, as it was not fenced properly.  It is about 3/4 feet tall.  Is it too long to put the sheep and more importantly lambs into, or will they be ok?  Or perhaps I should top it first?
All advice very welcome!!!
Thank you.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Fencing for Lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »
Sounds like you could cut that for hay.   If you top it and leave it lying the grass underneath can't grow, and the animals may fill their stomachs with long tangles of grass which they can't digest.

We have found that adding extra mesh at the bottom edge of a fence actually makes the problem worse.  The lambs will not want to leave their dams so are unlikely to pop right through a normal sheep mesh fence, especially if you've put it the right way up with the smaller squares at the bottom.  They will be able to pull their heads back through if they have reached through to graze.   We have had a problem in the past with our Soay lambs getting stuck once their horns are of a size where they can get them through but not back.  Up until then they learn just how to move them to disentangle themselves.  Extra wire just complicates things and they are more likely to get stuck.  At a certain time of year we do 'stuck heads' patrols along the fences, and listen out for the piteous cries of daft stuck lambies  :dunce: :sheep:

We have only battery powered fencing but we only use it at tupping time to prevent boys in adjacent fields from destroying the fences.   I don't see why you would need it with ewes and lambs and a good new sheep mesh fence.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:04:09 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »
That's brilliant - thank you.  My only concern is deterring  foxes - should they be of concern?
Thanks

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:09 pm »
Hi Burrwood Ouessant lambs are even smaller than Ronaldsays they can walk right through the fencing  for a several weeks after birth. I had several of last years lambs sticking their heads through still this year  and one still getting regularly stuck  ::) . I would agree adding fencing is more pf a problem and that keeping an eye out is a better precaution some years and some lambs are better behaved than others. So far the fox hasn't been a problem but hunting is still popular here ( on foot with dogs) I do know of others who have systematically lost lambs to a fox and if you have lost a lamb then beware but a 2 hour old lamb can easily outrun me!!

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »
That reminds me that sticking heads through the fence seems to be hereditary  ::) :D   It can't be that they are copying their mums as once they reach about a year horned sheep cannot get their heads through any more.  It must be an adventure gene to explain why some ewes have lambs every year which stick their heads through the fence, while others never produce lambs which do that  :)

I'm trying to think of an alternative to adding wire mesh along the bottom of the fence.  A piece of windbreak mesh is NOT a good idea as they seem to get stuck in that even more, but if it's a big problem then sections of boarding might work - an expensive option though if you haven't identified escape as a problem yet.   I know most people won't agree, but I think that in general sheep aren't as stupid as is made out and do in fact do their best to stay alive  :sheep:

We find that escapes tend to be made between the gate at its hinge end and the straining post, and a spare stob tied in there vertically, coming right down to the ground, can keep them in.  For under gates, either make sure the ground is built up to the level of the bottom of the gate (and doesn't get worn down by traffic over time), or hang a couple of stobs by wire to the bottom edge of the gate.   Check all along your new fence for natural dips in the ground where lambs can squeeze under.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:06:07 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS