Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two chicken related queries...  (Read 2276 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Two chicken related queries...
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »
Evening All.

My two chicken queries are as follows;

Firstly, all of my ladies (Light Sussex and Cream Legbars) are fabulously happy, healthy and generally marvellous. All except for one sorry sight. Poor Daisy, who is about 3 yrs old and one of  my original two, who looks like something you'd sprinkle Maldon Sea Salt and a spot of black pepper on and pop in the oven. I'm certain it's self inflicted, however she does seem perfectly content. She has been dusted and sprayed regularly, but to no avail, plus she's the only sufferer. Any thoughts would be welcome. The poor girl is pinker than Barbara Cartland and looks just about as frightful. Maybe not quite, though. (I am, of course, referring to Ms Cartland when she was alive, for you pedants.)

My second concern is about another LS who 'Vants To Be Alone.' She's young, plump, white and seems perfect, however she will not leave the coop other than to feed. She's not broody, she roosts on a perch and has been doing so for months. Should I be worried?

And I thought I knew everything. Just goes to show. I only know NEARLY everything. 

Naysayers need not respond, you know who you are, swords have been crossed and I'm too knackered to cross swords again[size=78%].[/size]

[size=78%] [/size]All happy and helpful comments gratefully welcome.

:)

Ooh, look at the new emoticons!  :eyelashes:  Heh heh heh.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Two chicken related queries...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:49:04 am »
I have the same issue with only one featherless girl. At first I thought it was a very long moult, then I sprayed and dusted with all recommended stuff. Anti-pecking spray  made no difference either. Waiting for the vet to ring back if she needs to see her before prescribing something for what I have to suspect now is Northern Fowl mite- plumage eating mites. Let us know if you find out what's wrong!  :chook: :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:03:29 am »
Hiya Dizzy

I've got a bald rhode rock. Can't find anything wrong with her, thought it was an over zealous cockerel to start with and went so far as to stick a saddle in but in hindsight, he showed no interest in her anyway  ::)

I suppose they'll get a bit cold in the winter and need a spray of suncream in the summer (if we get one)

Can't imagine you crossing swords with anyone btw!

Lx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:59 pm »
Thanks, girls. Poor wee chicken, she looks so bad. I'd like to dip her in something. The others are all fine, so I don't think it's mites.
Off to clean the coops, dreading it as the weather's SO horrible.
Rubbish.
xxx

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:11:29 pm »
Can be stress and being bullied off the feeder. Put two feeders and drinkers in. May be feather eating lice but I doubt it as ,although they transmit very slowly, the others would have it. Signs for that is feathers missing, but the stump is still in the skin and is full of dried blood. The feather snaps off from when the lice burrow into it to suck the blood from the quill. Very painful condition which needs Frontline spray at 3 sprays per Kg bodyweight, no more. Sometimes the bird pulls her own feathers out to stop the pain! Could be other hens eating her feathers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS