Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching chicks  (Read 2809 times)

exchequer leghorn

• Joined Jun 2012
Hatching chicks
« on: June 22, 2012, 06:00:18 pm »
Hi! Our broody hen MO (7 years old) is sitting on 6 eggs, 3 have hatched 1 is half way out, 1 cheeping and the other quiet.  I am concerned about the one that is half hatched.  How long before I step in and help it out?  Mum seems a bit fidgety so I think she is concerned too.  I am not sure whether to leave it over night but would hate to find it dead in its shell in the morning.
Advice please.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Hatching chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:12:21 pm »
Certainly I'd keep an eye on it. I do help them out - but you mustn't too soon, some chicks are still absorbing their yolk sac as they are hatching and if you pull them out too fast, they haven't finished that. If it's got the shell open enough you could gently untwist its neck - then its unlikely to die.

exchequer leghorn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »
Thanks, I'll check it half an hour and try to make a decision!  Mums not happy she is normally so quiet but she is making noise and turning around a lot I am worried she may hurt other chicks.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:35:48 pm »
I have helped chicks out if they have been incubator hatched since it's more likely that conditions are not ideal eg. humidity. I tend to leave alone if under a broody as I think it disturbs mum if you keep peeking too often. We hatched under a broody a few weeks ago and it took some chicks hours to hatch ..... half out for what seemed like ages. They all made it.

How long has the chick been half hatched? Is it making some progress, even if it seems slow to you?

Jaykay is right that if you intervene too soon the chick will bleed. Its not a pretty sight and because the chick is under a broody she may well then peck at the blood (as is natural for a hen to do) and kill the chick. It is different in an incy where you can just leave the chick for a bit longer for the bleeding to stop.

Hope all goes well. If you choose to leave alone there is a chance that mum may settle down.

exchequer leghorn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »
I've just helped it out!  It had been half out since early this morn and making no progress. I gently eased shell and membrane off and popped her back under mums wing to let nature take its course.
I'll check again in the morn and let you know. Fingers crossed.
Shirley

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 06:57:16 pm »
Well done. Fingers crossed :fc:

exchequer leghorn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 09:15:25 am »
Hi, pleased to tell you chick survived!  We put a mix of breeds under Mo this one was a silver grey dorking and the next egg ready to hatch is the same and also looks stuck so has anyone else had the same problem with this breed.  The other chicks were from crossbreed leghorns and marans.  I tried to post a pic but not sure how to.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:07 am »
Glad little one is fine  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS