Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: VERY novice potential sheep show-er needing any hints and tips  (Read 2668 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Hiya yet again fellow sheep obsessives
After 2 1/2 years of saying after EVERY agri show "I am gonna have a go next year" I have finally bitten the bullet and filled in my entry form.
i am entering my 2 Charolias x lleyn in the pair of 4-tooth ewes, entering my one year old Shetland ram in the local class 'any ram cross of full  breed' as well as my 8 tooth shetland ewe in the Shetland class 'shetland ewe any age' and finally my 2 x shetland/charolias ewe lambs in the local class 'a pair of ewe lambs'
now, my Charolais ewes are not particularly pretty looking, my ram is handsome according to my shearer, who also said my Shetland 8 tooth is a "really good ewe...keep all her female offspring!!!" and my pair of lambs are not particularly big (they are only 3 months old now and are Shetland x after all!)
The show is in August
Now I am not expecting to win anything but at the same time I don't want to stand out as being a total show novice. I am going to get myself into the groove of showing and so I can finally say I've done it and to meet other sheepy people however I would LOVE any tips or advice from people who can help me stand a little bit of a chance of not being placed completely last. LOL
What on earth am I up against???????????????????????????????????
Thank you for all the confidence boosting help I am about to receive  :fc: ;D
Lisa

From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: VERY novice potential sheep show-er needing any hints and tips
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:08 am »
Only taken one ewe lamb to show at Turriff but do plan to do a few more shows this year so I'm not the one to give you tips - sorry. JoJo was in the 'any other' section which ended up being largest to smallest!! so we came second last but she was turned out well and had the 'aah' factor.

If possible get to a few show to do a bit of spying, rain gear esential, take a small hay rack's and water bucket's, basically get all your kit together. Practice on a lead rope, always easier said than done - where does the time go!!

At the end of the day have fun - it's great to chat to other sheepie people and non-sheepie people who are the ones paying to see the animals.

I'm sure others will have better advice for you  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:54:43 pm »
Good luck mallows, I'm gonna have a go next year  :eyelashes: :innocent:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:20:23 pm »
Hi,
I'm not a show'er myself but I do steward the sheep classes at the Lincolnshire show and my advice is to go for it.

It's great fun and is a great way to meet other like minded people.  The other competitors, will be more than helpfully and will welcome you and your sheep onto the showing circuit. 
Also there maybe some pointers that the breed society's could help you with?

On another note, I'd be interested to know what your thoughts/experience with the Lleyns cross Charolais?  I'm soon to get some lleyn ewes lambs and will be investing in a charolais ram next year when I shall be starting to breed from them.

6 of our Lleyns went visiting a Charolais ram last November and the result is v impressive!

Good luck with the showing you will have good fun and maybe a few rosettes too!
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS