Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding regime  (Read 2631 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
feeding regime
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
How much veg is too much veg ? I have unlimited ready chopped veg available for the pigs also unlimited brewers grains 
what ratio would be best to feed the pigs alongside the pig nuts
I am feeding 2 x 7 1/2 month old middle whites and 5 x 13 week old GOS  weaners
Graham

HappyHippy

Re: feeding regime
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:28:33 pm »
I wouldn't feed more than half of their diet as fruit and veg, so if they're on say, 6lbs of pig nuts, you could change that to 3lbs of pig nuts and 12lbs of fruit and veg daily (4lbs of fruit and veg equate to roughly 1lb of nuts)
I'm not sure how the brewers grain converts - never been lucky enough to get my hands on any, but there will be more folk along soon  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »
How much veg is too much veg ? I have unlimited ready chopped veg available for the pigs also unlimited brewers grains 
what ratio would be best to feed the pigs alongside the pig nuts
I am feeding 2 x 7 1/2 month old middle whites and 5 x 13 week old GOS  weaners

Brewers grain should only be no more than 40% of a pigs diet as the Crudent Protein levels are fairly high, but even so it will still be a good saving.
Storage ca be a bit of a problem especially if you recieve large amount as it generally come wet  and if kept for too longer periods will ferment.
Hi all. :wave:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:01:19 pm »
Thanks everyone, I did intend to continue with the nuts but wasnt sure how much veg and grains was safe to give them.
thankfully we have a local small brewery just 10 minutes down the road and we can get them fresh as we need them
Graham

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:33:55 pm »
We get 1 to 2, 25 kg bags of brewers barley a week. We put it in large trug with holes in the bottom ( to help drainage), cover it and try to keep it out of the sun. It seems to keep ok for about a week but then this summer hasnt exactly been a heat wave here in east anglia! We feed our 5 pigs (large blacks and OSBs) 10 scoops of pig nuts, twice a day. If we have barley we take out 2 scoops of nuts and replace with 8 small scoops of barley. The pigs dont like the barley as much as the pig nuts and always eat it last! There size looks good so far. We will see for sure in a few weeks when they go to "the seaside"!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS