Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is ragwort poisonous?  (Read 11560 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Is ragwort poisonous?
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:01:20 pm »
I've just been sorting through some weeds that the owner of the field where I keep my sheep, has put in pile. I can identify most of them and know some that are ok for sheep, but I'm not sure about ragwort - I know it's very poisonous for horses, but what about sheep? I've looked in my books, some say it is poisnous others don't mention it. I've taken it out anyway.  I know yew & rhododrendron is very toxic and believe rhubarb is no good either. Is there a good list (maybe with pictures/photos) anywhere of poisonous plants for sheep? Thank you
4 pet sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Is ragwort poisonous?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:28:27 pm »
Ragwort is toxic when it is cut and dried - sheep seem to be able to munch the fresh plant with impunity. I have been offered grazings on the strength of this. I still dig out any full grown plants I see, rather not have it about.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:21:11 am »
It's one of those  horrid poisons that  builds up over time  and is stored in the liver, then the trouble starts. most lambs aren't kept long enough to see the efects of the build up so people think they are immune.
Get rid of it by burning and wear gloves to handle it.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:24:48 am »
it will kill your sheep in the end. not a nice death either.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:47:23 am »
Sheep can however absorb more of it as a percentage of body weight than either cattle or horses (something like 5% as opposed to 1 or 2%) , so its a 'how long they are kept' plus their 'greater capacity to cope with' that means that sheep rarely die of it.
It certainly eventually does affect them as abbatoirs see it in the liver, and dried ragwort is much more dangerous and they should never be exposed to that, but with young ragwort plants in sprint (which have lower toxin levels and lesser volume), sheep can generally act as a very effective control mechanism to prevent the plants getting larger and (in their second year, they are biennial) flowering and spreading thousands of seeds.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:00:37 am »
Thanks for all these replies - I'll get rid of any I see!
4 pet sheep

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 10:10:30 am »
Common ragwort contains compounds that are poisonous to most vertebrates .These are pyrrolizidine alkaloids . These substances occur in other plants as well. In fact they occur in 3% of the world's flora (1). Inside the plants, they occur in a non-toxic form, but after the plant has been eaten it is first changed by the intestines and then broken down by the liver. Both these processes are necessary for toxicity. (This is also why it is not dangerous for humans to handle ragwort.) The breakdown products formed in the liver are toxic. (2, 3). Contrary to what is often thought by the general public, the alkaloids do not accumulate inside the body of an animal. The fact is that they are excreted in about 24 to 48 hours (3). It is the damage that is caused to liver cells that can, if sufficient ragwort is consumed at each dose, be cumulative to the point of death occurring. The question then is how much needs to be consumed for an animal to be poisoned. Again research provides the answer. It has been found that is lies between 5 % and 25% of body weight for horses and cattle. For goats the figure is much higher, between 125% and 404% (4).

Forgot to say YOU ARE LEGALY OBLIGED TO RID YOUR LAND OF RAGWORT, ( County Councils dont seem to take this seriously when it comes to verges and motorways )
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:13:54 am by tizaala »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:34 am »
Thanks for the info Tizaala
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:45:32 am »
 :thumbsup:   Excellent post Tizaala
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 08:23:24 pm »
I am LOVING the look of those dark brown eggs.... I get white, brown, speckled, cream, blue/green but I WANT those well-tanned St Tropez coloured beauties!!!!

From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09:07 pm »
The Weeds Act 1959 covers the stuff in England: I imagine Scotland has its own version.  You can't initiate a legal action yourself though.  Follow the link if you want to see what to do

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/enforcement/injuriousweeds.aspx
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

thepoisongarden

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:44:44 am »
tizaala

A very good explanation of the situation except for;

'YOU ARE LEGALY OBLIGED TO RID YOU LAND OF RAGWORT'

That is not true. The Code of Practice from DEFRA on the control of common ragwort provides a clear explanation of what to do and is a must read for anyone concerned about the plant.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:47:30 am »
oh not again, this came up before 'the poison garden' and a link was put up disproving you!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:25 am »
6  Legal Framework
[/font][/color][/b]
Under the Weeds Act 1959 the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food
and Rural Affairs can, if satisfied that injurious weeds are growing upon any land,
serve a notice requiring the occupier to take action to prevent the spread of those
weeds. An unreasonable failure to comply with a notice is an offence. The Weeds
Act applies to:
[/font][/color]
Common Ragwort (Senecio jacobaea)
[/font][/size][/color]
Spear Thistle (Cirsium vulgare)
[/font][/size][/color]
Creeping or Field Thistle (Cirisium arvense)
[/font][/size][/color]
Curled Dock (Rumex crispus)
Broad-Leaved Dock (Rumex obtusifolius)
The Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 delegates the
functions available to the Secretary of State under the Weeds Act to Natural
England, a Defra agency. This delegation of functions enables Natural England
to investigate complaints where there is a risk that injurious weeds might spread
to neighbouring land. Natural England gives priority to investigating complaints
where there is a risk of weeds spreading to land used for grazing horses or
livestock, land used for forage production and other agricultural activities."
taken from the Defra code for ragwort management and control

So, on a railway cutting in 100% arable land, it would not be an offence. Neighbouring ANY livestock or horse fields. allowing it to grow unhindered IS AN OFFENCE.
Poisonous garden I think we are all satisfied that even if every landowner in the country eradicated every piece of ragwort on their land, there would still be billions of plants in untended and unmaintained road verges, railway verges and other waste ground which would render the plant extremely common.
There is therefore no need to get into a 'pro ragwort/ anti ragwort debate; controlling it in livestock areas which will be for the vast majority of us the reality is (i) our legal obligation and (ii) not in any risk of wiping out this plant, which is frankly completely out of control.
Nor are our activities in danger of wiping out the only species which seems to exclusively favour ragwort: the cinnabar moth is rare despite ragwort carpeting the country: its rarity therefore stems from other factors than lack of host ragwort plants as based ont their availability it should be as common as cowpats.

[/font][/color]

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:41 am »
The Weeds Act 1959 describes action being taken against landowners to prevent the spreading of injurious weeds , Common Ragwort being one.

I suppose it could be argued that control to prevent spreading and complete eradication are not the same thing. Indeed the DEFRA publication on Ragwort control specifically states:

The Code does not seek to eradicate ragwort, but only seeks to control it
where there is a threat to the health and welfare of animals.

Not trying to be contentious here, I spend many a happy hour 'preventing the spread' of ragwort on our pastures as we keep cattle on the land and make hay (if we're lucky with the weather) for winter feeding. However, if any land is not used for livestock or hay/silage, and is not in close proximity to land being used for that purpose, then the presence of Ragwort would probably not be viewed as an offence

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS