Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pip's milk....  (Read 2565 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
pip's milk....
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:17 pm »
hi there - i milked our other goat maisey last year and her milk was amasing! this year our first time kidder pip is milked morning and night and fed reccommended concentrates, and also very free range whenever she wants - but her milk tastes bitter, almost sourish, so much so i thought the first time i tried it , that it was gone off..any advice???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: pip's milk....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:03:16 pm »
Hi Poppy

we had similar with Savannah this year - turned out to be a Cobalt deficiency. There are drenches you can buy also a blue cobalt 'rockie' lick but we rectified it just by using Adam Hensen's minerals, I think I paid about £6 for a large tub which is lasting ages and her condition has really picked up as well as the milk tasting better within a week or so.

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:25:01 pm »
Yes a Cobalt drench would be my first attempt too, after that a check if there is anything in her pasture that may cause bad taste in milk.

Mine get Caprivite, seaweed and linseeds plus oats, dairy nuts and sokaed shreds, plus right now loads of branches, some carrots, apples, banana peels and similar. (no cabbages though).

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:07:55 am »
Premium Goat Balancer is alsoanother one with high B12.   Cobalt is gradually to be phased out of animal feeds....EU directive !!!!    Goats need cobalt to synthesize B12  which is vital for rumen function.
As indeed is copper   which can also affect flavour.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »
thank you guys am trying a goat vitamin, but its still the same, i will just wait and see :)  :goat:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:54 pm »
I give mine Cox Agri's Formula B12 + Co after a good recommendation from here.

The Co is cobalt and you just squirt 5ml in their mouth once a month. It seems to do the trick  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:28 pm »
Seems a bit unusual, if it is this persistent.

What breed is she? Does she eat hay or haylage (haylage can sometimes cause a strange taste, but would be more likely if you fed silage, which I guess you aren't)

Mine are also on a monthly Co, Zn drench, but I never had a problem and the milk hasn't changed since I am doing it. I would definitely drench her though.

Is there any known deficiencies in your soil, or have you bought your hay from another place since last year?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS