Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: House cow  (Read 35397 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
House cow
« on: October 26, 2007, 09:07:58 pm »
If you were going to have a house cow, what breed would you have? I always thought I'd like a Jersey cow, but I was contacted by a breeder of Highland cows recently (not about house cows) and I asked them if a Highland could be used as a house cow. The breeder said that the breed had been dual purpose in the Highlands in years gone by, but was now really regarded as a beef breed. The milk is rich but not great in quantity but with additional feeding to boost yield, you could probably take some for yoruself and leave some for the calf. So maybe a Highland - be somewhere warm to put your hands on a cold morning!

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
Re: House cow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 12:56:26 pm »
Shetlands are said to be excellent house cows, being small and relatively easy to deal with. They're more docile than the slightly skittish Dexters. We've been to see some and once we get to the stage where we can cope with a cow, we'll certainly consider one, although they seem to be pretty expensive.

Highlands? Now we are wandering into my dream for the future - not one that my delightful other half shares!

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 08:02:24 pm »
in my opinion Shetland or Dexter Cattle are good house cattle because of there sizes and because they are dual purpose.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:23:52 pm »
My choice would have to be a Jersey...... I mean,those faces!!  Mr Seymour (I'm sure you all have his book) also suggests Jerseys too,they're small,docile,think they're human!!  He also suggest the Danish Red and the Red Poll.

Do let us know what you go for and how you get on......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:02:19 pm »
I'd quite like to support one of the British rare breeds which is why I think the Shetland gets my vote. A friend of a friend has a Shetland herd (keep wanting to say "flock"), so I'm hoping to visit soon - looking only! I'll take some pics for the site.

Happyhens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »
Hi All
      I am new to the forum but could not help reading all the post about owning a House Cow! we have a few Parthenaise they are very special, they look like a Jersey and I would think they will milk about the same quantity, the French breed them for meat. All are in Calf so I will have to wait and see?

We do have two very nice Holstine's and they are excellent, very clever and are both Hefiers. They now are giving around 20ltrs each per day and that's milking by hand !!! and according to my Dairy neigbours that will go to 40ltrs a day next time they calve!!!!!! after waiting for their second season I put them back to the Bull that we have ( Holstine also) and they are now hopefully in calf.

If anyone is looking for a house cow then please get in touch, I reared both our's from day old calves and it's well worth the wait, as now they would walk off the end of the earth with me. Trust is a must without it life can be very difficult more so a milking time and when calving.

We will have some Calves/Cow's for sale soon so if your interested then please e-mail for more info.

Regards

S.

rustyme

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:03:32 pm »
http://www.dailymotion.com/elodilili/Parthenaise/video/x1t4nt_veau-parthenais-qui-tete_animals

I hadn't seen these cows before, so had a look online and found this video (above) there are a few other clips of them too . They look like really nice cows. I hope to get some North Devons  (Red Ruby) soon, but I like the look of the Parthenaise a lot.  Hope the clips are of use .....

cheers

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 04:25:54 pm »
They do look lovely - bit chunkier than a Jersey, but with the doe eyes. Out of patriotism, I think I'll stick with a Britsih breed though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS