Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4 Hours on a ride on lawn mower  (Read 3763 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
4 Hours on a ride on lawn mower
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:33:34 am »
And half my lamb field is topped  ;D  ;D

It took stopping every 10 mins to unblock the thing and every 20 mins to empty it into the pig paddocks, but half of it has been done :)

(yes there are 12 big lambs in that field  ::) )

This is the other half... The lawn mower is yet to attack it but will be trying this afternoon

My little helper "annoying shetland" was herding and nipping the lawn mower for the whole 4 hours...

So... who wants their field topped??  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: 4 Hours on a ride on lawn mower
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:25 am »
Me, me me  ;D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:13 am »
me too if my stupid mountfield doesn't start tomorrow
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:13:05 am »
Haha, ok so that will be an hourly cost?

The lawn mower now has front wheels that point in a different direction and cannot tip to empty its self, meanwhile I have stuck two lambs in the garden to do the lawn mowing  :thumbsup:

I used it to cut hay back in april and set the poor lawn mower on fire.....  ::)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:30:21 am »
4 hours ! I wonder how far you travelled?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »
I am amazed a sit on mower could cope with that. It does help if the blade is kept extremely sharp. Wheels facing opposite directions must be a snapped ball coupling -easily fixed. Just make sure the tracking is set very slightly 'toe-in' when its assembled.

I have found long stuff is best tacked without the grass collector on highest cut. Then after a few days go over again on a shorter cut and collect it all. The stuff has dried and shrunk and far fewer trips to dump and far less strain on the mower.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:04:41 pm »
No idea how far I travelled!! but I have mown that whole field twice with the mower before!  ;D to mow the whole field took around 10-12 hours

I drive with one wheel on the edge of the row and the rest of the mower on already mown grass, so cutting 1/4 a strip at a time! any more than this just stalls it instantly!

I think that a wheel baring has gone, as the wheel moves to the left and right as I drive it along, sort of wobbling to and fro! it has never been serviced in the 8 years we have had it so maybe its about time to book it in  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS