Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling meat  (Read 2627 times)

Windrush

• Joined Apr 2012
  • South Yorkshire
Selling meat
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:20:20 pm »
I've been asked to sell some of my rare breed sheep meat - there doesn't appear to be any legal constraint to this (I've read a helpful article on line posted by Hampshire trading standards which just mentions the things you MUST do and doesn't suggest I have to be a licensed butcher or whatever) but any guidance or experience of this from fellow AS vistors would be very welcome. Some fellow rare breed owners and myself were thinking we might collectively sell our meat on-line. Providing we ensure the butchery is done on registered premises, this seems possible. Again - any advice or adverse experiences? Thanks..... in advance!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Selling meat
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:32:13 pm »
You will need to be registered if the meat touches you again post slaughter. I have mine killed, cut and packed, but as I collect it and deliver it (in chill boxes, naturally). Am registered with EHO. Is fairly straightforward. Sorry about this post being abrupt, am posting from my phone.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Re: Selling meat
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:33:43 pm »
We get ours killed and split at the abatoir and the local butcher collects it and chops it however people want (called a cutting list) i.e breast boned and rolled, shoulder joint cut into 2...etc. We take payment beforehand and the customer collects from the butcher direct all cut up, labelled, vacuum packed and boxed up.  We sell it as half a lamb or whole lambs. (Normally 1/2 lamb per box!!!) Ask them if they want any offal... we normally have a kidney chucked in per half box.  hope this helps :o)
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS