Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet insurance ?  (Read 13796 times)

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
Pet insurance ?
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:07:33 pm »
Anyone recommend good insurance for a dog?  I have got a 10 month old working Cocker and Petplan is quoting me £24 pcm plus £90 excess.  Seems a bit much when tesco etc are half the price for the same cover. 

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Gillian

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Pet insurance ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:14:11 pm »
Gillain. Please be careful, I know the £24 seems expensive but when you read the small print you have to pay the high premiums. The cheaper ones sound great but most of them only cover illness for a year - so if your dog gets diabetes or something that will be life long these cheap companies only pay out for medication for the first year. Also, our vet has a sign on display at the moment to check small print as many of the insureres are not covering hip conditions. I had my 3 girls insured by the Kennel Club and it was about £45 each dog per month but covered almost everything. I cancelled in the end as it was just so expensive, now I just take my chances. I also did hear someone recommend Marks and Spencer's for offering good dog insurance.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:06:29 pm »
I pay £28 a month with Direct Line.

Thats for a 4 year old Labrador and a 3 year old Jack Russell. That covers them for everything, but I've never claimed on it and its been running since the Lab was 10 weeks.

I'm thinking its dear at that, but too frightened to risk cancelling as my Lab is a great one for jumping fences on our farm and the Jack Russell goes through them!!!

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:07:13 pm »
Hi Gillian, good information and links at this site. www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cut-pet-insurance-costs
Good luck, JD

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:58:45 pm »
Our dogs are insured with Tesco and we pay about £26 per month for the two. We've found them very good but they do only cover for 12 months. Meg has an underactive thyroid and will be on medication for the rest of her life - that's no longer covered. We decided, given that our dogs are to all intents and purposes mongrels, that they were more likely to have an accident than a chronic condition. Tess ruprured both cruciate ligaments - repair? £5,000 roughly.

We insured out cats with Petplan which has lifetime cover because they were all rescue cats and we didn't know their history. Petplan have also been really good but slapped an exclusion on Felix for certain things becasue he has chronic cat flu.

I wouldn't be without it.

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:58:01 pm »
We use Esure for our dogs.  I spent a long time 'investigating' the cover on various policies.  It is definately something not to be without.

Happy hunting!

:pug:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:59:33 pm »
I have a slush fund - won't pay them b's for pet insurance - with 4 dogs, 2 cats, and my ducks & chickens, it would cost me £150 a month that I don't have.  So I started a separate bank account a long time ago and put a sum in every month.  Touch wood, so far I haven't had to use it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 07:24:09 pm »
I pay £28 per month for a 2 yr old gsd and a 6 yr old greyhound with direct line, it pays to shop around each renewal time though, I used to have my horses with petplan but they are always to expensive for my dogs!

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 04:35:17 pm »
i have recently cancelled my 11 year old whippetx insurance as it went up to £37 a month with MORE THAN, it alweays worries me that the insurance is for more than just illness and injury it covered accidents too , imagine if she ran into the road and someone got killed, that would be many thousands of pounds!!!!!  My neighbour has two german pointers 3 weeks ago the younger one got a 2 inch thorn in her foot 2 thousand pounds and many visit s later she is now recovered, the elder dog swallowed something nasty last week they had to open her up that cost another thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is worth it but it is expensive.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 07:37:18 am »
I have gone with Marks and Spencers.  £17pcm for my Working Cocker. Premium cover.   I have 14 days from yesterday for someone to tell me they have had a bad experience with it and I can cancel it foc.  So far all have been good.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 08:10:30 am »
I have to say I too have only heard good thing about M & S Pet Insurance

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 01:13:04 pm »
I have gone with Marks and Spencers.  £17pcm for my Working Cocker. Premium cover.   I have 14 days from yesterday for someone to tell me they have had a bad experience with it and I can cancel it foc.  So far all have been good.

Have you told them your dog is worked?  They bump up the price for working dogs - probably more risk of injury in their eyes?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 07:28:52 am »

Have you told them your dog is worked?  They bump up the price for working dogs - probably more risk of injury in their eyes?
[/quote]

No Annie thanks for that I hadnt thought of telling them.  It will only be on the odd occasion with my husband but I guess we should tell them.  Paperwork not arrived yet so will give them a call once it arrives.  Thanks Gill.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:32:30 am »
I wouldn't bother telling them if it's only occasionally - the dog could get hurt just out for a walk in the fields in the same way.  The only risk would be gunshot and I doubt if your husband would be that careless with your own dog.

geerarffe

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Sheffield
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 11:53:51 pm »
I use animal friends. £15 per month, £49 excess and life time cover. Never had any problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS