Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suffolk ram wanted - Goole (E yorkshire)  (Read 3276 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Suffolk ram wanted - Goole (E yorkshire)
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:53:38 pm »
I'm looking for a Suffolk ram, either a lamb or animal a few years old (but not on his last legs)
I don't need a pedigree animal as I only have @ 30 ewes now, but I would like it to be (and look!) purebred.
I got offered one recently, described as pedigree, but with no papers (what a surprise) that had brown wool (not even black) hanging over it's eyes. I declined it.
 So, am looking for an animal with decent shape, tight wool, black head and legs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:29:57 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Windrush

• Joined Apr 2012
  • South Yorkshire
Re: Suffolk ram wanted - Goole (E yorkshire)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:09:55 pm »
There's a lady who breeds Suffolks up near you - close to Sherriff Hutton. I bought an excellent shearling ram from her last year and he's produced some fantastic offspring crossed on to my Whitefaced Woodlands. I found her via the Suffolk breed society website where she is a committee member. If you can't identify the person I mean I'll give you her details via email, but I wouldn't want to give out her details on an open forum without her knowing. He's a lot better tempered than breed tup and a charming character as well as producing decent lambs. Very reasonable money, too, not a silly "pedigree" price.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:31:51 pm »
Many thanks Windrush. I'll have a look on the website.
Rules are made:

howeburnsuffolks

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:53:32 am »
Hi,
did you get sorted with a tup? email me if not i might be able to help.
thanks

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:57:00 am »
 Thanks HBS - your lambs sound amazing, with the growth rate that you expect from top quality Suffolks.
 But unfortunately (although tempted) I can't justify that sort of money. Don't suppose you've got an aged ram for sale have you?
Failing that - I'm still looking for a tup.
I don't expect one that is of show quality, but if someone's asking over meat prices, I would want an animal that grows faster than the offspring of "any old ram"
For the last 2 years I've used a home grown Suff/Tex type as my Suffolk ram was stolen 2 days before tupping.
Last year all our lambs went off fat off grass at 4 months old in August.
This year he'd got to one ewe early. She lambed Feb and her twins, kept on grass only now weigh 50kg.
So when I was offered a Suffolk ram lamb, born Jan and now weighing 45kg, for £250, I was not in any way tempted!
But I do like those black faced lambs that you get from a pure Suffolk, and I like even better the growth rate you get from a well bred one.
So if anyone's got a suitable tup for sale - please contact me.

Rules are made:

kitchen cottage

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
I have suffolks but am too far away to help (Essex).  Good luck.  :)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:35:51 pm »
Not necessarily. I'm quite happy to travel for the right animal. Essex is no more than 4 hours away with a trailer.
So what have you got, and how much?
Rules are made:

kitchen cottage

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:55:01 pm »
I've PM'ed you

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 01:55:59 pm »
have you found a tup yet?
i have a suff x tex, due to be weaned in a week if your interested
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS