Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Changing from Ovivac P TO Heptavac P Plus  (Read 6430 times)

Advertisement

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Changing from Ovivac P TO Heptavac P Plus
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:00:39 pm »
I bought in mostly lambs last year some done with Hep. and some with Ovivac and some with Bravoxin - they were done in May/June with their 2 x. If I change them all onto Hep. do they need 2 x or just 1 - trying to work out the best option on bottle size and who to do when.

My plan was to 1 dose now to stay up to date and then 1 dose in March before April lambing and then 1 x annually there after - thanks
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Changing from Ovivac P TO Heptavac P Plus
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:16:41 pm »
I've just had our vet taking me through all this.  :)

Officially they will need 2 x Hep shots, yes.  For one thing, there are some diseases covered by Heptavac that are not covered by Ovivac. 

I'm not familiar with Bravoxin, so can't comment on that, I'm afraid.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54:32 pm »
I would also give two shots of Heptavac 4 - 6 weeks apart now, and then booster again 6weeks before lambing next year, and every year thereafter. Lambs will also need their two shots now.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 05:23:15 pm »
I use Ovivac for rams and wethers going for meat as lamb and any ram I keep or ewes to breed I used Heptavac as it also protects the lambs from clostridial illness they can catch as newborns.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 06:48:40 pm »
Thank you again - ok 2 shots now it is - get everyone on an even keel and booster in feb/march next year and then it should be a easy - you know what I'll be doing in the morning if it's not p***ing down.

As I don't have that many I don't want lots of half used bottles - is there an issue with ram and wethers getting Heptavac? v Ovivac
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »
s I don't have that many I don't want lots of half used bottles - is there an issue with ram and wethers getting Heptavac? v Ovivac
  No problem it just protects against more things  :farmer:             I see you can buy heptavac p+ in 50 ml  bottles
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:24:55 pm by shep53 »

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:20:41 pm »
When we only had a few sheep myself and 2 of my friends would club together and split the cost of a bottle 3 ways then all help each other to round up, hold and vaccinate each others sheep. As we put a new sterile needle into the bottle top (which stays in the top - do not take it out)  then draw off the 2 ml per sheep and use a new needle to vaccinate each different flock there is no risk of contamination to each others sheep AND it saves a bundle plus I can't abide the prospect of wastage!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS