Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New hives very busy  (Read 5844 times)

Hagrid61

• Joined Feb 2012
New hives very busy
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:31:48 am »
Hi everyone,
Just thought I'd let you all know, our two new colonies are coming on in leaps and bounds.
Three weeks on from getting them and I have had to put supers on top of both.
The warm weather and bits of sun between showers and the girls are out and gathering, a fantastic sight to just sit and watch in the early evenings with a glass of wine in hand, listening to the contented buzz.

:thumbsup:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: New hives very busy
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:56:11 pm »
That's great news  :thumbsup:

Having panicked about my small new nucleus I have been soooo relieved to see the comings and goings of the workers, out and about in the sun in the last couple of days. ;D

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:33:26 pm »
Great.  Good news

Just remember that the moment you think you know what's going on in there they'll surprise you and do something else!
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Hagrid61

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:03:33 pm »
I have been warned bees are easy to keep when its all going okay :) ....BUT when things start to go wrong :( ....................I'll be back on here asking for advice and help :fc:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:49 pm »
I have been warned bees are easy to keep when its all going okay :) ....BUT when things start to go wrong :( ....................I'll be back on here asking for advice and help :fc:

It becomes rocket science ......
But that's what makes it so interesting.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:03:49 am »
Great.  Good news

Just remember that the moment you think you know what's going on in there they'll surprise you and do something else!

Ain't that the truth!

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 03:09:28 pm »
Had a lot of surprises this year it's all true even a keeper with 30 years in whos helping me hasn't known a few bits. Got an old book from 70s and thats helped loads.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 10:20:22 pm »
Had a lot of surprises this year it's all true even a keeper with 30 years in whos helping me hasn't known a few bits. Got an old book from 70s and thats helped loads.

OI  !  it's not that old  ;) .

A good book is by a guy called Ted Hooper or simlar name , " Guide to bees & Honey ".

It's where I learnt most of my craft from when I started back in 1996 after ploughing through Manley , Llangstroth , Smith , Snellgrove & Brother Adam from Buckfast Abbey  and many many others .

Luckily I found a guy with 26 yrs experience & 40 over wintering hives  who had come along the same route as my mentor . He helpled me  get past the near witchcraft methods people were using to try and get honey from stingy little insects called honey bees..
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:56 pm »
Sorry i didn't mean that the 70's was that long ago, just meant the book was old being 40 years old. The book is the same one by Ted Hopper as you mentioned, not like some of the modern rubbish iv'e read.

Rob.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »
I love the Ted Hooper book.

Hagrid61

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:21:40 pm »
Bees very busy today,  :thumbsup:
 I have just had to artificially swarm one hive to prevent them doing it themselves, the hive and super were full almost to overflowing with about five queen cells.
 As per normal they got their own back on me only one sting though, nearly in my butt.
Other hive plodding along nicely not as busy as the first.
 Just got to keep my eye on the new hive for a while now to make sure they are Ok in their new home. :fc:
 Hope this warm weather continues its is fabulous over here at the moment.

Hagrid61

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »
I can't believe it the new hive in which I placed three deep frames (on Monday last) from my existing busy hive has now got a further six deep frames filled with honey and pollen waiting for the a Queen to emerge from one of the Queen cells. I going to have to place a super on it tomorrow.

The original hive Queen still actively laying larvae with new bees emerging. They have calmed down now and are happily getting on producing honey.

Third hive still plodding along, now with a super in place.

:thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS