Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Button tag problem  (Read 1674 times)

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
Button tag problem
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:32 pm »
My new button tags don't work. My old tags had a square tipped male part and always worked. Now they are round tipped the pin on the pliers goes through the side of the tip - result the pig gets a pierced ear but the tag fails to connect to the female side. Not good animal welfare - five different attempts - result no tag in and a fed up pig with 5 holes in his ear who didn't get to the abbatoir! I assume it's 'cos the pig moves once it feels it, but who would stand stockstill for that?
Anyone else experienced this problem?

robert waddell

Re: Button tag problem
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »
is the pin straight       our button tags have a  dimple at the back i grind this off and the tag is released when compressed together never had a problem with them :farmer:

HappyHippy

Re: Button tag problem
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:45:01 am »
Some pliers also have a little 'spacer' which sits on the pliers under the pointy end, (sorry, it's easier for me to think of the two tags bit as a pointy one and the one with the hole)  ;)
If yours has this it'll be stopping it connecting fully and pushing through. My Fearing's pliers have one - it's kinda grey plastic and if you get a fingernail under one side, you should be able to pull it off (just keep hold of it incase you need it back on for future tags  ;) )
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS