Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injecting a pig  (Read 7590 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Re: Injecting a pig
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »
The bottle of antibiotic is now stored in the fridge for future use.
Remember to note all the info into your medicines book and you'll have to chuck the bottle out after 28 days - they don't normally keep much past that  :-\

Thank you ... medial record already updated, I always aim to do that straight away before I forget  ???

Regarding 'shelf life' .... whilst I'm sure no vet would go one record saying it, I was 'advised' that in reality (especially if re-fridgerated) antibiotics will last a considerable time .....
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:42 pm »
Our vet charges £35 call out and £1.78 a min after they set foot on land.but they are really good.

I just called the vet to question our bill and was informed that it was classed as an out hours call (I phoned just after 6pm) and their is a 25% surcharge for out of hours call out and examination fees, so instead of the total being £108 it would have been £89.35 in 'normal' hours.

So, although still not cheap, if at all possible ensure you call them out in whatever is classed as their normal hours! (Not always easy when as a smallholder I work full time)

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »
Vets are expensive but I offset peace of mind and convenience as well as the teaching and training in the costs.

The fact is that I wouldn't be able to sleep if I was lying in bed worrying about one of the animals.

Price of a good night's aleep????

Out vets are really good and have never made us feel like we are inexperienced or hypochondriac. They always say - "good call" and we have caught a few nasty conditions early so I don't think they think we are just hysterical clueless good-lifers.

Sometimes I think we could have popped them in the trailer and taken them down there but all in all if they come to the property they can advise on other things whilst they are there.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS