Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs Coughing  (Read 4084 times)

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
Pigs Coughing
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:00:18 am »
Hi all, have 5 GOS weaners who must be 12 weeks now.mthey all seem to a have a cough......not coughing too much, but it is quite a hack when they do. Should I be worried or just let time heal......they are a happy bunch with no other signs of stress .......

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs Coughing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:11:46 am »
It could be a reaction to dust in their bedding, or it could be a common cold or it could be (amongst other things) the start of pneumonia.
Check their temperature first, if it seems normal and there are no other symptoms (off their food, scour, constipation etc) then I wouldn't worry too much, but keep an eye on them for any changes.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:34 am »
Thanks Karen.....they all seem quite happy and content, curly tails, eating well and none of them seem warm when handling them.......do I need to get a special thermometer or just go by the feel to the touch?

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49:13 am »
dry food can cause it as well   :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:04:26 pm »
Have they been wormed, coughing is a sign of lungworms.
mandy  :pig:

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »
Mandy,

They came from a reputable GOS supplier and although I wasn't there at the collection, I had assumed they had been vaccinated. I will check! Thanks for the tip.......any other symptoms of these worms? I have had the big earthworm like chaps in the past, and there's no need to tell me how to find those! Yuck!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
Being hairy and thin in back end are also signs of worms.
I'd be tempted to worm them anyway won't do any harm especially if the cough isn't in conjuction with high temp or other outward signs such as not feeding, being lethatgic etc.
Also check air flow thor your ark, we have drilled two inch round holes in the apex of our arks to allow air flow thro, it doesn't make it draughty but lets air circulate, pneumonia can be a problem with all this cold damp miserable weather we have been having.
HTH
mandy  :pig:
Ps  :thumbsup:  for getting GOS welcome to the mad world of the GOS! ;D

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:33 am »
Thanks for the tips. I have been keeping the sliding vent closed because of the awful weather, but will drill a few vent holes in the back wall......they were vaccinated as they were loaded up. Mandy, my first pigs were Tamworths and GOS, then I went for GOS girls who I found too aggressive and my wife feared them! Then went for boys and found their temprement much better and the hams and bacon..............WOW!. Our butcher said they were the finest home reared pigs he's ever done...maybe he says that to all his customers !  ;) So we are firm fans of the GOS and can't see us changing. :yum:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:02:30 am »
Hi all, have 5 GOS weaners who must be 12 weeks now.mthey all seem to a have a cough......not coughing too much, but it is quite a hack when they do. Should I be worried or just let time heal......they are a happy bunch with no other signs of stress .......
It could be Pneumonia.....you should keep a check on it or get a vet involved to make sure every thing is OK. if they do have it the vet will put the  pig on a course of antibiotics.

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:59:14 pm »
One of mine has started coughing too, it started after I topped up their bedding so I'm hoping it's from the dust.  She is eating fine and is normal in every other behaviour just like her sister.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS