Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fair Isle Mouse - great success!  (Read 5441 times)

aliceinwonderland

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Victoria, Australia
  • one day, i will live in my very own wonderland
Fair Isle Mouse - great success!
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:37:33 am »
My grandma taught me to knit when I was a little kid (as opposed to being a slightly bigger kid now), and then I didn't knit a thing for years. On Saturday, as it was cold and miserable, being winter down here, I decided to test my skills, and see if I could knit fair isle with multiple colours of wool, and then turn it into a 3d animal - with great success!

I knitted a little mouse (with a fair isle pattern around the middle), added some ears and a tail, stuffed it with little pom poms made of scraps of wool, added some catnip and a little bell, sewed it all up and gave it to my cat.

She LOVES it. At first she didn't really know what to do with it, but after a minute or two she was doing her best to kill it, whilst purring like a tractor. I gave it to her last night, and she still hasn't destroyed it, so it seems that my knitting has held up! Expecting to get home from work to find wool and catnip all over the carpet though....

For anyone who's interested, the pattern is here (http://yellowpinkandsparkly.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/fair-isle-mice-pattern.html) , and it's super easy. I'd never done a complex fair isle knit or knitted something to become 3D, and it worked perfectly. Happy knitting!
planning to have: beef cattle, a house cow (or two), maybe some goats, definitely some hens and ducks, a lovely farm with rolling hills and a stream running through the back paddock, and a cottage covered with climbing roses and an old wood-fired stove.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fair Isle Mouse - great success!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:21:02 am »
That is so cute.

I have recently started to knit again and am trying loads of things I never really learned to do.  (Making lots of mistakes, but they can usually be darned!  :D)  Fair Isle is on my list to try... so thanks for the link, I might make that mouse my first Fair Isle knit ever!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53:02 am »
That's very cute  ;D Lucky cat  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:51:40 am »
Its very good. I find knitting addictive. The cat is obviously convinced by it. I can see she is keeping her eye on it in case it runs away  ;D
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 03:21:52 pm »
What a good idea. Mouse looks fun, cat looks happy. Is she a Birman?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:06:42 pm »
I was addicted to knitting when my children were small, especially dolly clothes for my elder daughter (now 34 :o ) and remember sitting up half the night to finish an outfit for "Maybe" her favourite doll.
I also knitted all their jumpers, socks even coats etc. I feel I should take it up again but lack the motivation :(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:17:33 pm »
Sylvia, I am sure if you started again you would really get back into it. There are some lovely wools out there and everything is so easy to get online.
I like to watch the TV but feel I am wasting my time if I am not kintting, crocheting etc. I can't say that everything has been a success but mostly it is.

Sally

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:42 pm »
I can knit but dont like the needles going up my nose, sleeves, slipping on the floor etc. I love to crochet . That is so cute and love your cat, well done

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:29:34 pm »
That's a great idea. Love your cat too.  :love:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 06:53:37 pm »
Just read your thread to everyone in the house and we all like that a lot.  I used to knit bootees and matching hats for my dollies when I was little and crochet 'beddies' (bed covers) and I loved it.  Wish I'd kept them all, my kids have had a go at knitting but it doesn't beat lego unfortunately.

Maybe I should start again and they may learn by example. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:33 pm »
I've got knitting on the go but not done any for a few weeks.  I'm now inspired to get going again.  Maybe not tonight though.   ;)

aliceinwonderland

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Victoria, Australia
  • one day, i will live in my very own wonderland
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 04:33:53 am »
What a good idea. Mouse looks fun, cat looks happy. Is she a Birman?

She's a birman cross chinchilla (the cat breed, not the rodent), with tortie points. She's now about 6 years old but we all still call her 'the kitten', even though her name is Delilah. Very pretty and she knows it, but she forgets that she's meant to be a grown-up cat now. She's a big fan of chasing lizards and skinks and carrying them around in her mouth, with the tail sticking out. She's also obsessed with our dogs - a 12 year old golden retriever and a 11 year old lab - but she's not quite brave enough to make friends. She tries, gets nice and close, and then has a mini panic attack, hisses (very rude!) and runs away. I was sitting (knitting) in the living room with the dogs the other day and Delilah desperately wanted to be involved. She came in and sat up on the back of the sofa, as far away from the dogs as possible. Then Sally, the black labrador, came across to say hello. Delilah didn't move, or make a noise, but her eyes opened as far as they could go. Just had to take a photo. She hung around for a few minutes and then made a mad dash for the door. Silly kitty!

I'm glad you all enjoyed my mouse! I'm currently going through a housewife-skills fixation - have made copious amounts of jam, have been knitting things for everyone, and just bought a couple of 50's dress patterns to I can try my hand at that. The Royal Melbourne Show (the big agricultural show for the whole region) is on in September, so I thought I might knit/sew/bake and submit a few things - never entered a show before, but I have dreams of winning blue ribbons! I'll keep you updated on my progress!

Cheers!
Alice
planning to have: beef cattle, a house cow (or two), maybe some goats, definitely some hens and ducks, a lovely farm with rolling hills and a stream running through the back paddock, and a cottage covered with climbing roses and an old wood-fired stove.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
thats a lovely pic of Delilah
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS