Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - foxglove poisoning  (Read 6753 times)

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
Help - foxglove poisoning
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »
Please help, my very tame wether has is obviously unwell, off his food, lethargic, painful tummy and just lying down, unwanting to get up - I have had a scout around and have found some foxgloves which look to be half eaten, I am assuming that he has nibbled at these.  Is there anything I can give him to help him? I am thinking along the lines of carbon - is that what is best?
Thanks

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: Help - foxglove poisoning
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:47:15 pm »
Best bet phone the vet for spacific advice on poisoning, but carbon (activated charcoal) will absorb and line the digestive system. IF i'm on the right lines it causes heart problems being basicly digitalis (strong heard madication) so will alter blood pressure etc.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »
foxglove poisoning

Yes, charcoal is the thing. And complete rest and no stress, as the poison affects the heart.

Burrwoodfm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »
Thank you  :wave:
I called the vet as soon as I had done the post on here.  He said that unless he had eaten a lot of plants, it was probably best just to leave him to rest and get it out of his system.  I think I will stock up on charcoal for the future.  Trouble is, the area the sheep live in is an old marl pit, where we are using them for conservation grazing, and because of the gorse bushes and nature of the landscape, it is really hard to see where dangerous plants are growing.  I am going on a good hunt in the morning to dig up and eradicate! Thanks for the advice.  Fingers crossed for him. :fc:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:25:50 am »
In my old job we always kept liquid charcoal in the dog first aid kit as the dogs occasionally ate poisonous substances.  It comes in a tube (like a large tube of toothpaste), probably the vet can supply it for you or try online.  It would be easy to administer to a sheep too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS