Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: David brown 990 selectamatic - good buy?  (Read 16624 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
David brown 990 selectamatic - good buy?
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:39:38 pm »
I've been looking for a tractor and an old david brown (~1968) has come available locally. it's very tatty, no wings or cab or lights, but it does start and everything incl' brakes, pto and hydraulics work.

I've had a look at it and it's a bit smokey when revved, there's an oil drip from the bellhousing (rear crank seal?) but the thing that was most worrying (to me) was that the gearbox oil was milky with water emulsion and so was the oil weeping from the spool valve connection, the dipstick rust spotted.

Obviously it needs a gear-oil change, but does anyone have a view on if this is acceptable in an old tractor (not sure how detrimental to the hydraulics it is to have water in the oil).

asking £950 delivered.

about right for age/condition?

Thx

Marcus
PS. what is selectamatic?? (owner wasn't sure).

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: David brown 990 selectamatic - good buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:05:02 pm »
Its not expensive at £950 delivered as long as it starts on its own battery and drives. If it was a Massey 165 or Ford 5000, similar size tractors of that era, then £2/3/ thousand for ruff machines. I did watch a ruff 995 in an auction last month make £1750.  Also a tidy farm condition 1968 880 make £3000. If yours can be made tidy and serviced up, it should be worth £2000 all day.
I have a number of David Browns and a supporter of the brand, also a member of the DB Tractor Club which has a good web site, just like this one.
A 1968 would originally had shell type wings that are available and not hard to fit, doubt that it would have had a cab. It should have a chocolate brown engine and transmission with white tin work. Lights are a luxury on an old tractor and are easy damaged. I recommend a roll bar if it does not have one.
The transmission oil works the arms and has a filter underneath that requires changing every 500 hrs. The big down side of David Browns is that many farmers could not get their heads around the hydraulics. It is a big hydraulic computer, the operator 'selects' the system required, hence "Selectamatic". Good ploughing tractors, excellent traction and very low speeds.
They do need servicing and oils changing, but this is not hard or expensive on a DB. The best thing about DBs is the quality of the steel, they live outside and take some stick.
Let us know how you get on, or join the DBTC forum as there are plenty of 'fresh' owners on there from around the world.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
My new toy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:51:12 pm »
I'm quite relieved to hear that you think it's OK, 'cos It's already bought and delivered (for £900).  :) I decided that it was worth the 'risk' as the hydraulics are working - as long as I put fresh oil in ASAP.

Besides - the delivery was worth quite a bit to me - there's no point in finding a bargain if it's 500 miles away.

The big down side of David Browns is that many farmers could not get their heads around the hydraulics. It is a big hydraulic computer, the operator 'selects' the system required, hence "Selectamatic". Good ploughing tractors, excellent traction and very low speeds.

I was wondering about them too - I discovered today (whilst playing after delivery) that the 'top link' appears to be moveable (but I haven't worked out how it's controlled).

you're right about the low speeds too - 1st low low - you could set it off, & go have a cup of tea whilst the tractor traveled it's own length.  ;D

All I need now is a hydraulics manual, workshop manual, some new oils, filters, tinwork...

looks like I need to join yet another forum & club.  ::)

Thanks

marcus

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Re: David brown 990 selectamatic - good buy?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:10 pm »
A proper tractor that, tidy it up in your own time but keep it working.
Two points. 1: Get that F reg plate logged with Swansea and an up to date V5, its pre 1973, it has value.
2 : The transmission oil/hydraulic oil, the same, is the same as the engine oil. 20w/50  or a 15w/40. Change the oils and filters, including fuel and that ol' girl will serve you well.
The moveable top link is sensing piston for the draught when ploughing, but thats another lesson and I'm still learning that one.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS