Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A determined broody bantam  (Read 2955 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
A determined broody bantam
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:02 am »
I have a lovely blue laced bantam.  She decided to go broody and sit in a little hut down the field.  Some of the other hens lay in there too.  Every day I would put my hand under the bantam and get bitten!!  and remove her egg, and also the hens eggs.  In the end I left one bantam egg, but kept on removing the hen eggs from under her - tended to do it quick, to avoid a good pecking, and each day the bantam egg would get rolled about as I  grabbed the other eggs.

I never imagined this one egg would hatch, given the treatment it had ....it would roll out of the nest as I grabbed the other eggs, and the bantam would push it back under her.  Well, yesterday, I put my hand under as usual, grabbed the eggs .....then realised I had not felt the little egg.  Thinking it had finally got broken with the rough treatment it had, I  felt under her again, and no egg, but there was something else in its place!!!

Yes, against the odds, a chick has hatched :)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Re: A determined broody bantam
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 07:06:17 am »
well done to mum and the new arrival  :thumbsup: :chook: :chook:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:13 am »
Awww, thats sweet. 
I have a broody hen at the moment. Despite there being more than one nest the others lay in the same box. They sit on top of her. Each day I collect their eggs and she seems to be quite happy to let me take them.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:53 am »
That's a lovely story. Finally she got what she wanted :love: piccies when you can  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:59:12 am »
One very lucky little chick.  :thumbsup:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:21:58 am »
Well done, Mother Hen  :thumbsup:

Broody bantams do mean business.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS