Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Converting 'classic' tractor to 4WD?  (Read 21445 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Converting 'classic' tractor to 4WD?
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:43:51 pm »
Hi all- I don't suppose anyone knows if it is possible to convert a classic tractor (let's say MF35, Dexta or similar) to 4WD? I know that Roadless used to do it but does anyone do it these days? If so what sort of price would I be looking at to get it done?

robert waddell

Re: Converting 'classic' tractor to 4WD?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:22:49 am »
it used to be possible there was a company manual Eden that did conversion kits for them but realistically i would not bother          better getting a proper manufactured one 
you can convert a 35 using land rover parts it has been done your biggest problem is the transfer box
anything is possible if you have time and money to throw at it  :farmer:

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:51 pm »
4WD classic tractors under 50hp are like hens teeth, very few around and worth a fortune. The smallest MF was a 135 but is rare, I think it was a Roadless conversion, better than money in a bank. I do not think there was a 4WD Dexta converted, Roadless and County tended to do the bigger Fords, however there was a 4WD 3000. The smallest DB was a 996/5, but they are rare and highly collectable. There is a recent story on the DB web site of a converted 995.
Personally, if in need I would just buy a Kubota.
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »
odin the smallest of the red giants was a 130
have seen a dexta converted      county did a conversion for 4000-4600
i thought db had a 770  at least it was in a leaflet
bray done an equal sized wheel conversion for the 10/60 and its blue replacement
if you go to the vintage event at newark in November  there are hundreds of tractors there  even a doe replica with Te20  :farmer:

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:54:24 am »
I would like to see that 770 leaflet, would certainly create some interest. The front drive axles for David Browns were bought in and factory fitted, even though David Brown was, and still is, a Gear Cutter and Transmission manufacturer. The axles are either Selina which are Itallian, or Krammer that are German. My DB 1210 has the Krammer front axle and it is a big thing and takes some engine horse power to drive it.
Roadless and County each had their own ideas. At the end of the day, a front drive axle takes a lot of HP to drive it. Anything under 50hp in old stuff is limited because of its draw on power.
Kubota saw a niche market and made good of it. Britain followed the US mentality, Bigger is Better, not always true.
A son of the soil .

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:06:46 am »
i will dig it out and get the techie ones to post
yes DB were gearbox makers all the lorries could have them specified they also made Aston martins
another one was carraro axles  the death knoll for all of these converters was when the manufacturers saw the potential sales for the 4 wheel drive market  another good one was zetor they gave you a 4 wheel drive option on small tractors  at one time they were valued as scrap but they are up there with all the rest on valuation now
not true on the kubota front      nuffield/leyland had the mini tractor at the time every body wanted bigger horsepower it was bad timing as it was considered as a joke  then the japs took over they created a demand and a niche market :farmer:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:47:36 pm »
We have just bought ourselves this little toy. A Zetor 3545 4wd
Looks a bit tatty but it is mechanically sound.
40hp and thought to be about 1969.
Can't see how it could be cost effective to convert a classic, but it would be a really great project if you could pull it off.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 03:01:48 am »
Hi all- really interesting to hear your views on this. My dilema is that I want the looks of a 'classic' with the efficiency of a Kubota! OK- next question could one 'pimp-up' a Kubota to look like a 'classic'?  ;D 

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:01:04 pm »
Its all in the bonnet, borrow one off a grey Fergy and size it up. Last year in a show I saw a DB Cropmaster with a Diahatsu Diesel engine, it looked ok. Last night at a local show, a pal and his Miss brought all three Grey Fergys, the latest fitted with a Rover V8, and it looks ok, just over powered, but truly 'Pimped".
Quite sure you could do something original with a Kubota. With reference to the BMC tractors, they are a very desirable machine and have their own club (Morris Minor engine in a little tractor). What Kubota did was add the 4wd system to the small machine.
Ref the Zetor, a neighbour has one like that (from new), only fault it ever developed was in the front axle, a bearing collapsed. Lives out a lot, good machine.
A son of the soil .

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:47:16 pm »
Old Fordson in T&M, Roadless conversion to four wheel drive, asking price, £18,000 . Hens teeth !
A son of the soil .

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »
Why waste your time and money when you could just buy a 4wd tractor for less? Unless of course you just have to have an old tractor in which case they managed with 2wd back in the day so you can do the same now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS