Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: need to ask about a pony  (Read 4561 times)

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
need to ask about a pony
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »
i got a 10hh spotted pony last week.
he's a 2 year old colt.
got the vet coming this week to geld.
i can only find one ball,also a page has been cut out of his passport.
i can't work out what page is missing.i have got another passport for our other pony,but passports have different layouts.
all i can think is that someone tried to geld him  on the quiet.i dunno perhaps he's a rig.
i know of somebody who used to geld & if one ball was retained it was left there.i'm wondering if thats whats happened with my chap.
can anyone help please.any suggestions welcome.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: need to ask about a pony
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:01:43 pm »
Vet should be able to tell if he has been part gelded I would think there would be scare tissue. some colts are not ready to geld at 2 but things can change by 4 years. As for the passport that is strange. If i send mine back to the Shetland Pony Society to be marked gelded it goes at the bottm of the reg. page.

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »
hi,
that page for the gelding is still there.
the colts probably just a rig,& i'm being paranoid.just something does'nt feel  right.
but will ring the vet monday & explain

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:03:05 am »
Is it the page where you sign if you do not want the horse to go into the food chain?  Maybe someone signed it, then a new owner removed it?

A friend of mine bought a lovely coloured gelding at a local sale.  Supposedly 4 according to the passport.  I called to look at him, and thought he looked like a stallion.  Peered underneath, and yes, definitely had extra bits.  Vet checked him over, and said he was not yet 3, and it looked like someone had gelded him, but only one ball had been down.  He is therefore a rig. But his passport definitely shows him as a gelding.

Hopefully your pony will have no such problem!!

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:25:51 pm »
yes roxy your right it is the food chain one.duh forgot about that one.
well had a good look underneath it were'nt easy he was in a right mood because my friends got a mare there & he cant get to it.
no scars,so he's a rig,never had one before & it's bloody annoying he needs gelding now & i cant afford a big op  :(
thanks for the help guys.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 06:11:58 pm »
If you can leave him then I would. There is a chance it will drop. I paid over £600 to have a horse operated on as his did not drop. I was selling him as a gelding so had to get him done.

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:51 pm »
i'm going to leave him & just keep checking.
his normal testicle keeps dissapearing as well.
so hoping he just needs time.  :)
but how long do you wait?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:06:31 pm by kelpy »

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:11:17 am »
You might just need to give him this summer but keep checking. Friend got a Shetland colt for £10 as his did not drop but by the time he was 4 everything was in the right place and he is now a working Stallion.it all depends on how quickly you need him gelded.

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:43:54 pm »
i'm willing to wait,
but i only have one other pony there & its a mare.
the mare is quite happy on her own,but my little chap is'nt &  i don't like keeping them on their own.
i've never kept one seperate before,& it seems cruel.
i might have a look around & see if i can loan a gelding for a while.
oh what a pain.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09:43 pm »
My Stallions and colts run together all winter but in the Spring I have to separate the older boys as they get quite territorial and fight. They can see each other but with having a mare your colt may try to get over any fence. Can no one take him for the summer, may be someone with a colt the same age. Might be the answer if your mare is OK on her own.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS