Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig keeping courses Scotland  (Read 4226 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Pig keeping courses Scotland
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:48:01 pm »
Hi  :wave:
Can anyone recommend a good pig keeping course in Scotland ( I live 50 miles north of Inverness ) I have searched online but wouldn't know which ones were any good ???  I trust your judgement on here to point me in the right direction! I already have pigs and read lots but would love a bit more hands on teaching and a chance to handle different breeds etc. Was just on Oaklandspigs website and you pig keeping courses look great, but alas a bit far :(  I also would like to get to know some more 'local' pig keepers and a course would be a good way to meet.
Many thanks in advance

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Pig keeping courses Scotland
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:22:59 pm »
HappyHippy on here (Yondeton.com) runs pig courses and she's wonderful  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »
 ;D  Thank you Rosemary  :wave:

Yup, we're a fair distance from you (though not as far as Oaklands  ;) )
20miles south of Glasgow, less than 10 minutes off the M74 motorway and have lots of pigs of various breeds, ages and sizes to let you get a good bit of practical hands on experience as well as all the practical/useful/been there, done that type information that will help you to get started with pigs.
The website is here http://www.yonderton.com or you can email me on kkjmckay@aol.com or pm me here on TAS for more info.
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:42:45 am »
just what does constitute a good pig course   it is only luck to arrange a date and have a pig farrowing
similarly with castrations or injections
also the vast majority of these days are geared towards introducing new or potential new keepers to pigs
there is a nucleus of breeders around inverness it is just finding them
you will have to factor in the travel cost to any course then balance up afterwards was it worth it did i learn anything
the cssa are having a pig day at our farm on the 30 June  also advertised on here  but again you have to decide if the travelling is worth it :farmer:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »
I went down to Pig Paradise in Wiltshire, which was quite a hike. I learned loads, increased my confidence handling pigs, and had a chance to discuss pigs ALL day without worrying about boring people to death
I haven't been on one of Karen's courses but she certainly knows her pigs (though I think she's a bit biased towards Kune Kunes - Hi Karen) I would recommend going on a course but Robert's suggestion of contacting pig-keepers in your area is good too. It's great to have people to ask for advice, and TAS is magic for that, but it's handy having someone nearby for mutual help.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 05:46:48 pm »
a chance to discuss pigs ALL day without worrying about boring people to death

i would love that...lol

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:52:21 pm »
I haven't been on one of Karen's courses but she certainly knows her pigs (though I think she's a bit biased towards Kune Kunes - Hi Karen) I would recommend going on a course but Robert's suggestion of contacting pig-keepers in your area is good too. It's great to have people to ask for advice, and TAS is magic for that, but it's handy having someone nearby for mutual help.
Hiya Cath  :wave:
It's true I like my wee Kunes  :innocent: but I also like my Large Blacks, and my Oxford Sandy & Black and my Tamworth.....and I liked my Berkshire's and crosses when I had all of them too  ;D
Kunekunes aren't for everyone, they need space and they take time to grow - nor are they 'pushed' on the course but if someone is interested then of course, they'll get specific information relating to keeping Kunes within the course manual  ;)

I do think that as well as having all the information and having had a go 'hands on' with some pigs, having someone local for advice and support is a great idea - I could have saved many, many mistakes along the way if I'd had that  ;D  Thankfully I found TAS  ;)
Karen  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS