Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where can I buy lye ?  (Read 11569 times)

HappyHippy

Where can I buy lye ?
« on: June 16, 2012, 03:44:14 pm »
So, I have committed to having a go at cold-process soap making (loving the idea, but still a teeny bit scared  ;) )
I have tallow cooling as I type, the oils have been ordered (along with a few essentials like lavender flowers, blue poppy seeds, natural colours, fragrances and erm, glitter - is that an essential  ;)   :innocent: )

So where do I buy my lye ?

Thanking you muchly in advance  :-*
Karen x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Where can I buy lye ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:48 pm »
No idea, sorry, but let us know how you get on.

Would love to try but Im scared too  ;D

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:20:21 pm »
I just tried! Have a lye burn on my lip, whoops!

I used Boots caustic soda drain cleaner, it's NaOH (sodium hydroxide) [size=78%]http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Caustic-Soda-500g_923900/[/size]

(The burn is because somehow some residue got onto laptop keyboard, as I was carefully checking and rechecking instructions...then I scratched my lip later that night after being online  ::)  Chewed a wedge of lemon to neutralise the alkali and it's okay now, just a little scabby)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:39:19 pm »
Ah brill Yorkshirelass  :thumbsup:  (not the bit about the burn though, bet it hurts  :-\ )
I'd ordered all the other bits, then realised I'd forgotten it  ::) 
Boots it is  ;)
Will report back sometime next week - hopefully (that is, unless I blow myself up in the process  :D )
Karen  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:42:27 pm »
I buy from countrywide and B&Q - make sure its pure caustic soda (not a pre-prepared drain cleaner 'cut' with other chemicals)
Have fun!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:31:47 am »
Thanks Plums, I'll make sure it's 'proper' stuff and I have my PPE at the ready  ;)  Safety spex, rubber gloves, and most importantly a big bucket, table and looooong handled spoon - all in the garden just in case  :D
I've got a couple of 'receipes' to try using the lard - I'm wanting lots of sudsy bubbles without using orangutang harming palm oil  :thumbsup:  Think I'll probably be emailing/facebooking you for reassurance though  ;)
Oooooh, can't wait for the goodies to arrive now  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:37:51 am »
Don't be too worried, Karen - remember how long it took me to try the first batch? I was really scared  ;D   I've inhaled lye before and can verify its not pleasant! it was the teeny molecules that went airborne after I emptied a pot, mouthful of ulcers next day.
Remember to add your lye to your fats and not the other way round.
When you are washing up anything you've made cp in to keep wearing your gloves and goggles etc. If you leave it to solidify, you can scrape most of it out.
cosmetic glitter - an absolute must  ;)
good on you avoiding the palm - icky.
I have a customer now who orders bespoke from me because of my stance on palm and rearing kids on their mums, she lives a couple of miles from Buckingham palace, I make her entire slabs, she's lovely  :)   Really must get my soapy mojo back soon x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 09:11:38 am »
Oh get it back mrs - c'mon  ;D  I need your expertise to match my enthusiasm  ;)   ;D 

I've ordered the plastic loaf moulds (with the lines so I can get even slices  ;) ) and want to do all sorts of swirly, chunky and layered effects (can you tell how carried away I am  :D ) but I think I'll concentrate on getting the basics first and perfecting my 'blend'  :thumbsup:

Can you recommend any good books - the local library is dissappointing and there are so many on amazon I'm baffled.
Thanks again

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:36:00 am »
Get theeself on Fresholi website - loadsa recipes there! all for free  :)

For milk soap I found this one [size=78%]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milk-Soapmaking-Simple-Buttermilk-Coconut/dp/0938497456[/size] brilliant.

Trouble with lots of the books is that they talk about melt and pour and don't go into CP which is incredibly frustrating!!!

Anything by Melinda Cross is good too!

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »
Oh Fresholi is good Lisa, cheers for that  ;D  They even have a fragrance called 'Happy Hippy' how cool is that ? And you know something - it's exactly the kinda smell I like  ;)  (though not necessarily how I smell lol!) so plenty to experiment with  :fc:  Patiently waiting for my oils to come  ::) 
Will be back soon no doubt  ;)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:06:20 pm »

I've got a couple of 'receipes' to try using the lard

*ahem* [size=78%]http://carrotandrabbit.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/fun-with-caustic-soda/[/size]

;)

I'm hoping I'm imagining the slight smell of bacon...  :o

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »
Thanks Yorkshire Lass  :thumbsup:
I'm taking a bio-hazzard approach to my first batch. I've got safety spex, respirator and thick gloves (had them all lying around anyway  ;) ) so hopefully I'll manage not to injure myself  :fc:

I'm mixing the sodium lardate  ;)  with different oils - some olive, coconut and castor in some different quantities and mixes, there will be a bit of perfume added too - just to make sure it smells good. At this stage though, it's all about the bubbles and hardness of the finished bar - I want a hard bar with lots of rich lather so just making a few different ratio's to see what works best.
I will report back in due course  ;D  (still waiting almost patiently for my stuff, maybe tomorrow  ;) )

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 07:52:11 pm »
I did mine plain to begin with (now curing)...I have a hunch that any essential oils added for smelliness would themselves get saponified and lose their zing?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »
not more stuff for me to buy from hippy :-)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 07:58:54 pm »
I did mine plain to begin with (now curing)...I have a hunch that any essential oils added for smelliness would themselves get saponified and lose their zing?

Add fragrance or essential oils AFTER trace and they won't lose their zing!  Many citrus ones don't stay very strong though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS