Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: OK British 'summer', you win.  (Read 6727 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
OK British 'summer', you win.
« on: June 15, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »
I've given in. I've bought waterproof trousers. No more milking the goat with a Tesco bag over my bum - never did get to patent my blue stripey knickers  :innocent:  

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: OK British 'summer', you win.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:21:42 pm »
 :D

Here it is a matter for considerable comment amongst us 'farming folk' full or part time, if we've managed to spend an entire day (or, total shock, several days in a row  :o) in only wellies with no permanently attached waterproof trousers.

It feels so normal to step into wellies and pull up the waterproofs that on the rare occasions I've removed the waterproofs, I go to pull them up anyway  ::)

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »
Lovely and sunny here today although its very windy.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:37:53 pm »
Alas, I have tried to model myself on a dress and joules welly wearing 'smallholder' but have failed  ;D   The time has come to admit to myself (and the poor, long suffering neighbours) that plastic supermarket bag knickers are not the way forward and I must go for 'practical'.  They are even navy blue - not lilac or purple like everything else in my wardrobe, sheeeeesh.
shame they've not arrived yet.......time to get the placky bag out to milk savannah now.........
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »
I gave up years ago , i just get wet now .

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:26:26 pm »
Over the years I have worn some horrible looking clothes for our Scottish weather, the sad thing is I feel quite normal  :eyelashes:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:20:10 pm »
I live in wellies and waterproofs. The coat and trousers often look like jumping into a river themselves to get a bit of cleanliness  ::) ( they do get washed ..honest)
And I'm not even a smallholder yet. Neighbour said he didn't recognise me the other day, I looked different. I had to laugh. I was in gym wear for an exercise class. He never sees me out of wellies and waterproofs. They hide a lot of sins  :eyelashes:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 05:24:50 pm »
Alas, I have tried to model myself on a dress and joules welly wearing 'smallholder' but have failed
I am more modelled on Compo I think (Last of the Summer Wine)  :D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 05:28:55 pm »
Torrential rain all night, and most of today too.  Just about to start evening milking, and feeding, so for the next three hours I will be outside in this weather.  I spend my life in wellies, go shopping, into the bank, althought I do dabble them in the stream before setting off.

Such a shame for all the summer events taking place - lots of wells dressing and village Rose Queen events etc. round here.  Not to mention the silage and hay making which no one has done here.  Going the same way as last summer, a nice April/May and then rain for the rest of the summer.

Really annoyed as we have so much outside work to do, fencing etc. and painting sheds and stables, and not good to be out in this, but I suppose we have to grit our teeth and carry on.

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:04 pm »
Raining in North Wales (Ruthin) yesterday and all day today. I've had to succumb and light the woodburner....ahh that's better.

All the jobs can wait till tomorrow.  ;)

Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 06:53:19 pm »
I know why this is happening - I just bought some more solar panels 2 days ago!

Even more frustrating as I still haven't installed my microhydro-electric system yet (still buying and building it - and looking at Env.Agency red-tape).

There's enough water going down the hill for ~5kw ATM.

I just know that as soon as I get it installed there'll be no rain for 6 months+ .

marcus

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »
 :-*

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »
I know why this is happening - I just bought some more solar panels 2 days ago!

Even more frustrating as I still haven't installed my microhydro-electric system yet (still buying and building it - and looking at Env.Agency red-tape).

There's enough water going down the hill for ~5kw ATM.

I just know that as soon as I get it installed there'll be no rain for 6 months+ .

marcus

please get it installed asap

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »
So...I chose not to wear the tesco knickers and guess what?! I have fallen over - mud all down my back (not just mud by the smell of it...) I bet the neighbours loved that spectacle, goats learnt some new swear words and I had to milk the goat all soggy and smelly (chickens got that 4 pints)  Really hacked off now - and yes, was wearing a white jumper. s*ds law. oh and I landed on my coccyx so ruddy ouch aswell.
Marcus, get those panels up ASAP! please!!!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 07:37:39 pm »
I LOVE my waterproofs...Jack orton waterproof trousers for the Shooting Crowd.... totally waterproof and material on the outside so you can tip sheep against you without them slipping against any nylon fabric! I wear them all year round! LOL
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS