Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cherry trees dying  (Read 2628 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Cherry trees dying
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:47:18 am »
I've got 6 large, about 20 feet or so Cherry trees in my back garden and they all look like they have died.
They were fine last year and nothing has changed round them, I was wondering if anyone knew of a virus or something that attacks Cherry trees. The other trees around them seem fine, there is another cherry about 50 feet away from them and that seem to be ok. Anyone got any ideas.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Cherry trees dying
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:59:41 am »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:03:11 am by jaykay »

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »
Weird.  i bought two trees a couple of years ago, and both of them have died.  they are guaranteed with my supplier for 5 years, so I am hoping they will replace them - but then, do I put them in the same space?  Or if there is a national bug going round - is it worth it?  Sorry I don't have the answer for you, but I will look in on other responses.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:36:12 pm »
when did you last prune them? If in winter it could be Silver leaf disease? Or maybe they suffered from the hard frosts? :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:07:23 pm »
Lots of trees suffered from the false spring back in March.  They burst into leaf in response to the warmth, then the leaves were blasted off by bad weather.  So they are struggling to grow a second crop of leaves and many are half bare as a result.   Some trees didn't let themselves be tricked and are doing fine.

Or, it could be disease as others have suggested.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS